Chapter 1: Malen'kiy pauk

Natasha Romanoff watches as medical staff fuss over Steve Rogers, his wrist bent at an unusual angle, Bucky Barnes sits in the corner wallowing in self-pity, shame and guilt.

"I'm fine, Buck" Bucky scoffs slightly and hangs his head, his long brown locks hiding his face. Steve sighs and looks to the Doctor.

"I'm going to have to snap it back in place before your healing kicks in" Steve nods. "It's going to hurt" Steve takes a deep breath and nods, before grunting in pain as the Doctor snaps hiw wrist back into place, a nurse quickly wrapping a pressure bandage around his hand and wrist. Steve looks up as the door slams, Bucky had gone. Natasha looks to Steve softly.

"We knew it would take time" she tells Steve.

"It's been six months and his....episodes are not getting any better.....and every time he pulls away from human interactions...."

"Because he doesn't want to hurt anyone...." Natasha tells him softly moving towards him, Steve wraps an arm around her waist and pulls her closer, she sighs. "I can make some calls.....see if I can find anyone that can deal with this......."

"Sam's already trying but Bucky refuses to talk about it with him"

"Because Sam doesn't understand...." Natasha tells him kissing the corner of his lips softly. "I might know someone that could have better luck getting through to him" Steve looks to her.

"Yeah?" she nods. "Who?"

"My old mentor from the Red Room"

"Nat" he warns. "Bringing in someone who worked for the KGB and Hydra"

"No..." she shakes her head. "Someone who understands......at least meet with her" she strokes his cheek. "If you don't like her....." he sighs and leans into her hand.

"Alright....." he tilts his head up and she leans down to kiss him, she pulls back.

"I'll go call her"

"You are still in contact?"

"She was my mentor, Steve, the closest thing I had to a friend in that place, the closest thing I have to family....yes, I am still in contact with her....just talk to her......give her the benefit of the doubt......for me" Steve raises an eyebrow. "For Bucky" Natasha kisses him again before walking away. She glances to her watch before sighing. It would have to wait for sun down.

............................

Selene had, over the past thirty years, managed to find herself an apartment with UV proof windows. Which meant she could stay up during the day and not hide away. Granted she couldn't leave her apartment but there was such a thing as delivery boys now. She just has to wait for the sun to go down before she can leave and head to the coven stronghold. She smirks looking out the window, watching the sun set. She turns and walks to her bedroom, her bare feet padding away on the cool smooth ceramic tiles, inside her room she moves to the wardrobe and throws open the doors, her Death Dealer suit hanging in the back, smiling she pulls it out and walks to her bathroom.

................................

Natasha turns her cell phone over in her hand, it's been a while since she spoke to Selene in fact it had been after the downfall of Shield and subsequently Hydra....at least the main horde of them, there are still some small fractions out there that they are trying to deal with. Natasha sighs and dials her phone.

.................................

Selene is pulling on her leather coat when her phone rings, she pauses and glances to it. Only one person calls that phone. She pulls her coat all the way on and then moves to the phone, pulling it up to her ear.

"Malen'kiy pauk" she greets, followed by a small chuckle on the other end.

"Babushka" the girl on the other end of the phone greets back. "Selene"

"Natal'ya" Selene grabs her gun from the case open on the coffee table.

"It's Natasha now"

"What can I do for you, Natasha?" She slides her gun into the holster on her thigh.

"I need your help" Selena stops and looks out the window.

"What trouble are you in?"

"Not trouble, not really....but I have this friend......" Natasha sighs. "Babushka, what do you remember of the Winter Soldier?"

"I never met him" Selene answers, lying. She closes her gun case. "But I heard enough....."

"He's free of Hydra but having a hard time....I was hoping you might talk to him....."

"Why me, Malen'kiy pauk?"

"Because you know what it's like to be under Hydra's thumb...and you know what it is like to get free....and to question who and what you are without them......remember that point in your life when I had to haul your ass out of a ditch of despair" Selene sighs. "This is his ditch....and I need your help to get him out"

"Fine" Natasha is quiet on the other end of the phone. "What else?"

"Captain America wants to talk to you first......" Selene purses her lips and runs her tongue over her fangs.

"That's fine...."

"It's just....I'll explain....how soon can you get to New York?" Selene sighs and moves to the huge window looking out at the city beyond.

"I'm already here"