Chapter 4

4

I opened my eyes and found myself in a room I didn't recognize. I layed on queen sized bed covered by a navy blue comfortor, the walls were white-washed and rows of movies and games were stacked on a small bookshelf next to a decently sized tv. I sat up, rubbing my head. It still ached and pulsed painfully from my recent episode at the football game with Benjamin.

Benjamin.

He was in trouble. Wherever he was he was being abused. That man had told him he was going to die, and I believed him. I knew that if no one came to help him, Benjamin would die and soon. And, even though that kid had nearly drained me dry and tried to make me his pet, I couldn't let that happen. Something in me told me not to let that happen.

Across the room the door creaked open and Daren walked in. He was no longer wearing his football uniform, caked with mud. He wore a sweatshirt and some jeans. His hair was wet and as he approached I could smell the scent of Old Spice shampoo. He smiled down at me, a weary type of smile and sat down beside me on the bed.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Like shit," I replied truthfully and leaned back against the small mound of pillows at my back.

"What happened back there?"

I grimaced. I'd hoped he wouldn't asked that dreaded question. But, of course, like with many other things, I never got my way.

"Athsma," I lied, closing my eyes and hoping he wouldn't know I was lying.

"Athsma, huh? And the screaming?"

"What can I say? I'm afraid of my own athsma, so what?" When I opened my eyes again he was making a face showing how much he believed that, which, of course, was hardly. "It's a thing. If I can't breathe I might die, I'm allowed to fear my own death, thus I'm afraid of my own athsma."

After a moment Daren finally smiled. "Well, you're definately feeling better," he observed. "You at least have enough energy to defend yourself." He shifted a bit and I scooched over a smidge so he was able to lay next to me on the bed, leaning on an elbow. "Truthfully I was scared, too."

"You were?" I shook my head in disbelief. "No way."

"Yeah, I was," he nodded "You were just laying there choking and I was completely helpless. I felt pretty bad that I couldn't do anything. It was even worse when you started screaming."

"Well, sorry to frighten you. I'll be sure to warn you next time I have an episode," I replied sarcastically and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Knock it off," he warned. "I was seriously scared for you." Then his gaze softened and he shifted so he could hold my face in his hands. Daren rested his forehead against my own. It was a comforting gesture. His skin was warm against mine, he smelled nice, clean, his hair dripped onto my face, sending gentle chills throughout my senses. If felt good. "I was terrifed something bad would happen to you," he murmered and I could feel my chest tighten as it continued to try and squeeze out beat after beat.

"Sorry," I whispered back, and I meant it. If I knew he would react like this I never would have gotten snippy. I didn't want to scare him. What the hell is wrong with you Christine? My mind wailed. You can't be seriously falling for this guy, can you?

My inner rantings were silenced however when Daren pressed his mouth against mine. There was no hesitation, no featherly lightness. It was a passionate kiss. Not ruthless. Passionate. And I loved it. I clung to his shirt, inhailing his scent as I kissed him back as deep and passionate as he did me. I never wanted it to stop.

Yes, I thought back to that nagging voice in my head. I do like Daren Hawethorn. Even if it was just a little. So sue me.

When we pulled away from each other his eyes weren't sarcastic or mocking like they were other times when he looked at me. They were kind, soft, gazing warmly into my own. So warm, in fact, I was decently sure my intire digestive system had just melted into mush.