Potion Gone Right

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Chapter Two

Chapter Two

He was back a day later, with his briefcase that would be sufficient for the meeting.  He walked into the shop, the door reading closed.  Looking around there was nobody in sight.  It was quite dull actually.  "Hello. It's Percy Weasley." He called into the shop.

"Back here." Aenwyn's voice stifled through the dry air.

Her made his way across the room, hitting a rough creaky floorboard with his foot, before going through the ajar door that lead to the back room.  There was a workbench that currently had a golden cauldron sitting on top, the witch bent over it, her hair astray as the steam from whatever was inside drifted over the sides.

He looked to a desk on the other side of the room, and set his briefcase on top of it, pulling out a piece of parchment and quill. 

"What is it your doing?" He asked scrunching his nose as she threw a toadstool into the liquid, a bright green color emitting, and then a foul stench. 

She wafted her hand over the cauldron in reaction to the smell.  She glanced over her shoulder.  "Trying to muck up this potion."

"Whatever for?" He asked approaching the workbench to look into the cauldron. 

"Well, I'm testing this cauldron you see.  It's a new line where it's supposed to fix your errors so nothing disastrous happens.  I stopped by the apothecary earlier to get some of the most absurd ingredients to see what it can handle."  She stopped looking into the liquid, turning to him. "You wouldn't happen to be awful in potions?"

"No." He answered quickly.  Did she doubt his high achievements.  "On the contrary, I am quite remarkable." 

She bit her lip, shaking her head looking back to the simmering potion. 

"Did you try adding Wolfsbane?  If it can fix that, then it should be up to cauldron codes."

She moved over to a cupboard disappearing inside for a moment.  Percy waited attentively, watching as she returned and dropped it into the cauldron.  She let out a little noise of excitement.  "It worked, I don't believe it."

"What's the Cauldron bottom thickness?" he asked, lifting his quill to his parchment.

"I believe ten centimeters."

"Name of the cauldron?" he inquired.

"Potion gone right."

He started to feverishly move his quill as he spoke. "Potion gone right, ten centimeters, acceptable thickness."  He looked proudly over to her.  "Your cauldron officially can be sold."

She smiled. "Oh right, I've gotten the shops records just over here."  She raised her wand, and a large book flew over onto the workbench. 

Percy opened to the contents on the first page. "Mind if I?"

"Keep it.  For as long as you need."

"Yes, well thank you."  He looked over to the desk. "If you'll excuse me." he said politely before sitting down to start at his work. 

Aenwyn had left to the front of the shop to organize a few things.  Once she returned to the back she found him still mulling over the book.  She teetered from the back of her heels to her toes watching him anxiously, not sure if she should disrupt him.  Eventually she decided to start a conversation.

"So, why are you doing this report?"

"Why?" He looked up with a confused look on his face.  "Because there is an epidemic within the cauldron community.  Even more cauldrons are not being correctly inspected, which leads to numerous accidents."  He met her eyes, before adding "Dangerous accidents." 

"But you personally, I don't know----find this sort of thing interesting?"

"Fascinating.  But more so important and necessary.  Did you know more people die from Cauldron accidents each year than from Quidditch." 

"Really?!" She exclaimed out of shock.

He nodded, shutting the book. "I know.  Something must be done."

"And you are the noble person to take on such an opportunity?"

"Indeed I am." He said lifting his chin proudly.

"Well then, I think that's quite splendid."

He stifled a yawn. "I'm sorry"

"No, you are fine." she said, now slumped on the desk opposite him. 

"what time is it?" He looked to his wrist watch. 

"Nearly half past eight." She mentioned. 

"Oh I better be going. You know how the floo is at these hours." 

"You can take the book with you."

"No, I've finished with it anyway." 

He quickly gathered his things, bided her goodbye, and then entered the street.  The sky was dark, cept a few of the stars.  Of course the shop lights illuminated the cobblestone enough so he could see.  He went over to the outside floo area, waiting in the que for one of the fireplaces. 

An old witch sat in front of him on  her broom. It hovered in place as she sat in the line.  He pondered over why she would be in the que for the floo if she had a broom, but paid no mind to it.  His brain was rather exhausted from the work he had done all day.  Finally, he had entered the fireplace, a series of green flames whirling around him, until he was sucked into their depths. 

He popped out into the lounge of the Burrow. 

"Hello Mum. I've just got back."

"How was it dear?"

"Exhausting, there is so much work to sort through."

"Eh Perc, are you still going off about your Cauldrons?" Fred said, passing through from the kitchen.

"I'll have you know it's very important.  In-fact, Ms. Potage finds my work very noble."

"Well of course she does, the old woman runs a Cauldron shop doesn't she?" Fred directed toward George.

Percy rolled his eyes.  He wasn't the slightest bemused with the twins. "Actually, for your information, she is not an old woman."

George raised his eyebrows with a grin on his face. "hwee, hwoo" He whistled, "Percy's found himself a girlfriend has he?"

"I most certainly have not." He stated. "Now, I'm going to bed. Goodnight." He said through clenched teeth, before stomping up the stairs.