prologue

May 25th

May 25th.
10:52
1 hour and 48 minutes until the hanging

|xxxx|

If mother could see me now, I wouldn't be surprised if she was ashamed of me. To put it simply, I - Dawn Evangeline Berlitz, fragile and difficult daughter to Hunter and Joanna Berlitz - have been sentenced to hang. Albeit I really shouldn't be surprised. I've committed one to many crimes in my complicated lifetime of eighteen years, but all of my wrongdoings cannot stack up to my latest misconduct.

To tell the truth, I - stupidly - fell in love. That doesn't sound so bad now, does it? Falling in love is often described as beautiful, like the euphonious melody of an expertly played violin. And to tell the truth, my maze of a mind often interpreted love as something which was electrifying. Who knew that falling in love would only lead me to something which I believed I wouldn't come in contact with for many years to come - my deathbed.

He was a prince, a teenage boy who stood way out of my league. I was an outlaw, a girl who committed crimes in order to please the very man who took her and her older brother in. It was never going to work out - especially if the outlaw is ordered to assassinate the Prince.

I should have known, and for that I'm ignorant and frangible. The very opposite of what mother and father hoped I would be.

And as the minutes count down, as death itself prepares to take me by the hand and lead me to its oasis, I'll hit the replay button and tell my story.

A story which ends at exactly 12 AM.