8

The ride home was so silent, it was uncomfortable

The ride home was so silent, it was uncomfortable. Reggie was driving, of course, while Jack sat in the passenger's seat. She stared out the window the whole time and every once in a while, Reggie would glance at her. She noticed him doing so and when she turned her head to look back away, he would look away. She honestly found it amusing.

"Hey, I forgot to ask you earlier," Reggie spoke up, glancing over at Jack before back at the road, "I live just a street away from you. I drive by your house on the way to school in the morning. I know you drive with your sister to school every morning, but would maybe want to ride with me to school?"

Jack tried her hardest not to look happy about his offer, "And why would I ride with you, huh?" She questioned him, "We're merely lab partners."

"Yeah, sorry. I shouldn't have asked--" before Reggie could finish his sentence, Jack cut him off.

"Um, I never said that it was a no," She told him and Reggie's eyes widened a bit, "I would love to ride with you to school. It gets boring having to hear my sister and her friends bitch about Jason and the rest of the football every morning."

"They talk about us?" Reggie asked curiously, sightly amused by it.

"My lips are sealed," She responded, jokingly motioning her hands as if she were zipping her mouth shut and locking it.

Reggie laughed at her actions in amusement just before they arrived at her house. He parked her car in the driveway after getting the okay from Jack before they headed inside. Jack entered the house with Reggie following close behind, "Your house is huge," he commented, causing Jack to smile.

"You've been here before," She reminded him as she chuckled quietly.

"Doesn't mean it's still not a huge ass house," He commented, just before Jack grabbed him by hand and lead him downstairs.

The duo sat in on the couches in the living room just outside Jack's bedroom. Jack refused to bring Reggie into her bedroom. She never let anyone into her bedroom. It held too many secrets she wanted to keep hidden.

The only people who ever entered her room without having Jack freak out on them was Sweet Pea and Elena. Not even her mom could enter without Jack getting pissed. Her mother was fine with it, though. She knew Jack liked to keep to herself and trusted her enough to know she wasn't up to anything dangerous.

Jack and Reggie were sitting on the large couch in the room, both of them sitting next to each other. They both had a laptop in their laps, both of which had a google slides tab in front of them as they began their project. Well, Jack was doing most of the work. Reggie tried to help, but every time he made an attempt to, Jack just ended up fixing all of his screw ups.

Music played through the speakers that Jack had someone install into the basement as they worked. Soon enough, the duo grew bored of doing all of the work and Reggie decided to change the subject, "Listen," He spoke up, placing his laptop down on the coffee table that rested in front of them, "I know this probably sounds weird, but I want to know more about you, Jack. There's clearly more to you. Something about you that doesn't involve Elena being your popular older sister or that your mother's practically famous."

"And there is more than that," Jack replied, a playful smile on her lips as she placed a hand on Reggie's leg.

She leaned forward, but before Reggie could get the wrong idea, she spoke up, "But today isn't that day, Reggie." She whispered to him softly.

Reggie rolled his eyes at her but continued to smile. Just then, Jack leaned forward in her seat, placing her laptop down next to Reggie's on the coffee table. She stood up, causing Reggie to frown. He wondered what she was up to. Just then, Jack picked up a pillow and whipped around to face him before hitting him with the pillow.

Reggie was shocked by her actions and Jack began to laugh in amusement at his reaction. Reggie laughed as he stood up from his seat, "Oh, you're so gonna get it." He told her and as Jack tried to get away, Reggie grabbed her by the waist.

She squealed as he picked her and placed her down on the couch they were previously sitting on together. She began to laugh hysterically as he began to attack her sides with tickles, "Stop it, Reggie!" She laughed, "You know I'm ticklish!"

Finally, after a long moment, he obeyed her orders and he found herself staring down at her. He was practically straddling her and he had just noticed that he was doing so.

They stared intently into each other's eyes and Jack watched as Reggie's eyes broke eye contact with her as they flickered down to her full lips. He found himself leaning and before he could do so, Jack roughly pushed Reggie off of her.

She quickly sat up while Reggie fell backward on the opposite end of the long couch, "Woah!" He said, lifting his hands up in surrender.

"What do you think you're doing?" She questioned him in a low tone.

"What do you mean?" Reggie asked her, but clearly knew what she was talking about.

"You were trying to kiss me!" Jack exclaimed in a loud tone.

"So?" Reggie scoffed as Jack gave him a look of disbelief, "I thought--"

"You thought nothing," Jack told him sternly, "I think you should go now."

"Jack, I'm sorry--" Reggie began to apologize, but Jack was quick to cut him off.

"Please, just go!" She interrupted him.

Reggie sighed in defeat, quickly gathering his belongings before leaving the house through the basement door.

Jack quickly took out her phone and called Sweet Pea, wanting to tell him about what happened, "What happened?" Was the first thing Sweet Pea said as he answered the phone, knowing Jack was supposed to be hanging out with Reggie at her house at that moment.

"He tried to kiss me," She informed him in a calm tone, "I rejected him."

"Why?" Sweet Pea asked her confused, "Isn't that what you wanted?"

"It's too soon, Pea," She reminded Sweet Pea, "Me rejecting him will only make him want me more. Reggie's used to girls throwing themselves at him. I'm not one of those girls, which will lure him in. He's clearly already liking me, which will make this even easier. By Halloween Night, I'm going to break Reggie Mantle's heart."