8

Steady taps clattered against the rock and sediment as he sprinted frantically towards the top of the illuminating temple. His mind was in a frenzy, still envisioning the demon's dastardly face and his chained connection to the foul creature. That thing bound him to evil, bound him to the constraints of the darkness. There was absolutely no chance that he was going to allow some bastard to unleash the beast that confined him to this spot. No way in hell.

The only thing about him that remained composed was the constant, rhythmic clack of his shoe. Even that sequence faltered and quickened once the chants and shouts rung louder in his ears.

He finally reached the top and could feel his blood boil at the radiant light bursting from the sky and plunging into the large magic circle. A group of masked—seemingly cult-associated— men circled around the circumference of the spell, yelling out gibberish that was the complete opposite of music to his ears. It was absolutely repulsive.

The presence of the blonde mage grew apparent behind him and he drew out his arm to stop her from walking any further. "Let's stay low for now, until something happens."

He didn't even have to look back to confirm that she nodded.

Suddenly, a familiar nasally voice resounded from the center. "Reitei-sama! We couldn't find them! Though, we suspect they come from the village. What shall our next course of action be?"

Gray glared at the figure, whose face was concealed by an absurd, foolish looking mask. He was in the midst of mentally cursing the man until he heard the monotone, gruff quality of his voice.

It was familiar.

Horrifyingly familiar.

"Obliterate the village. I will not let anyone interfere with Deliora."

"As you wish, Reitei-sama."

But why? Why would the man, who he suspected of hiding behind the armored mask, be involved in such dark matters? What was his motivation?

The man's eyes averted to the sudden jerk of movement by the dragon-slayer, his jaw clenching once he saw how the moron prompted his foot upon the fallen pillar they had been using as cover.

"You god-damn idiot-"

Natsu deliberately cut him off. "Hey! You bastard! Don't drag in random innocents into this shit! We are the ones you are looking for!"

Lucy face-palmed.

It was useless to hide any longer, so Gray rose and glared knowingly at the masked man. He was undoubtably certain about his suspicions, peering at the slight smirk that pranced upon his lips once they met gazes.

"Those guild marks... The village must have asked help from the mainland."

"That doesn't change orders. Go, destroy the village. I will handle the pests."

A cynical scoff left Gray's mouth as he watched the henchmen flee into the refuge of the forest.

He clutched his fist and thrusted it into his palm, a surge of magical energy whizzing through his body. Swirls of ice warped ceremoniously to his fingertips-- the chilling ice not fazing his posture one bit. His treacherous legs begun moving on their own, lunging and sprinting to attack the dastardly man.

The smirk on the leader's face grew immensely and he shoved his hand forward, his one-hand stance producing a flurry of ice, made to pursue the opposing mage.

Instead of a simple takedown, the multitudes of ice climbed over the terrain and clashed against each other before shattering, from the collision, into shards of aqua and blue-green crystals. The impact was so great that the hefty metal of his mask cracked and was promptly swept off his face-- revealing the man beneath.