6

The girl's face was stricken with horror as her eyes laid upon the ravenous monster that was frozen in time within the gleaming ice. The beast was nothing like her reference books described. Somehow, it was even more vile and repulsive than she had imagined. She didn't know how long she stood there, frozen in her tracks, until she let the name roll off of her tongue- leaving such a distastefulness in her mouth.

"Deliora..." She croaked and watched the raven-haired man, whose knees were planted firmly into the ground, turn to her with shock etched into his features. His dark eyes bore into her own. He was searching for something, something that she didn't know of. What was it? Comfort? Recognition?

The dark cobalt eyes darted away from her own and she gazed longingly at the vulnerable figure of her guild-mate. She understood now. Everything just clicked into place once she saw him shatter right before her very eyes.

He was a victim of Deliora as well.

"How... Why is Deliora here?!" He growled, punching his calloused fist into the gravel, which inflicted his knuckles with small, thin cuts. Lucy frowned as crimson dripped slowly to the grimy earth, a wash of protectiveness flooding the girl's body. She strode to his side and clutched his broad shoulders supportively. Gray looked at her with wide eyes. Why was she being so empathetic even though he had been nothing but rude to her? He didn't- no he couldn't- find the will to pull away from the warmth of her touch. Her eyes, yielded such kindness. He cursed himself for being weak in front of her, for god knows how many times.

"It's okay... Don't hurt yourself." She cooed and his clenched fist loosened, drawing his arm away from the ground. Why was he abiding the weak girl, that he was burdened to kidnap? He didn't know. He was unsure of everything at this point. His head throbbed as he conjured every hypothesis he could to explain how and why this foul beast was laid before his sight. The corner of his slender mouth twitched upwards, with bitterness and grief.

The haze was right. He was destined for this life of darkness. What else could explain his third encounter with Deliora?

He almost lost it until loud, clamorous voices could be heard from the entrance of the cave. Gray grunted before grabbing the other three and ducking behind a huge tower of rock and sediment. Unconsciously, he held Lucy flush to his chest. She squirmed, a furious blush fanning over her supple cheeks as her nose was pressed against his left bare pec, upon his Fairy Tail insignia.

"Hm.. There is no one here." A gruff voice remarked.

"The intruders probably found a way out. We must tell Reitei-sama immediately. For love!" Lucy cringed at the nasally, brittle quality of the woman's voice. But, her interest was peaked. Who was Reitei-sama? Was he the reason why the beast made it's way to Fiore?

"We should go back. The Moon Drip will commence soon. Don't worry, Deliora. We'll revive you in all due time. Then, our Lord Reitei will slaughter you with his own hands."

The sound of retreating footsteps ceased and the ice mage bolted up furiously.

"I will kill that Reitei bastard." He seethed and the girl gulped nervously. His anger seemed unparalleled to any sort of frustration she had witnessed from him before. The look that captured his features seemed to be of pure hatred. He was actually willing to kill.

The image of his body corrupted with another's slain blood seemed too imaginary to the stellar mage. She couldn't see him doing such things, especially after the vulnerability she's witnessed so far. How could one, who encountered death, be capable of murder?

"Let's go after them!" Natsu exclaimed and the other man sent him a chilling glare.

"No. We are staying right here." He planted himself right in front of the frightening demon, with a stoic face that gazed at the floor blankly. The man's hands intertwined and clutched at one another desperately, as he poured out all his anger unto himself. The fire mage's brows burrowed in disapproval.