Alfie

"Marcus, can you please take this seriously?" I asked, giving him a stern look. Marcus wasn't the most serious person I knew, and it was difficult for him to hold it together most of the time. Especially right now when he was making sure I had all my lines memorised for my audition for our school's play. This spring we were doing Romeo and Juliet. Of course Marcus found my romantic one-minute monologue, the most hilarious thing ever. 

"It's --- just --- so funny," Marcus said rolling around on the floor with my monologue gripped in his hand. 

"I'll get someone else to help me," I said exasperatedly, ripping the paper out of his hands. I always asked Marcus to help me with my theatre help, and usually ended up persauding my sister to help me instead. She was about ten times more mature than Marcus. 

"Whatever," Marcus said, standing back up and sitting next to me on the bed. "So, dude, who do you think's cute in your whole theatre tribe or whatever. You know I'm not really into that stuff and I need to find out if there's anyone we can get for you to date." 

One of the best parts about Marcus was that he knew the only thing I wanted in my sixth form experience was to get a girlfriend. I had never had one before, save for a single kiss in year two. No one ever really liked me, and I knew it was due to the fact that I just wasn't attractive.

"Not really, no." I had trained myself to find no one that attractive, because I knew that no one would ever like me back.

"Oh come on, there's got to be somone," he pushed, trying his hardest to get me to spill my crush.

"Okay, well there's this one girl," I said slowly waiting for his reaction. He just smiled at me, waiting for me to the say the name. "Her name is Kaitlin and she's so beautiful, and really good at acting." Just thinking about Kaitlin made me get all hot and sweaty. A girl as beautiful as her would never fall for a guy like me, and that was a fact.

"I'll help you get her mate," Marcus said holding out his pinky for me. A pinky promise, typical Marcus. I gripped his smallest finger with mine and smiled. Maybe this year would finally be the year I got a girl friend, finally be the year that someone fell for me. The future lay ahead and nobody knew what it held.

__________________

I was awoken that morning by the sound of my phone going off. I reached over to my table to grab my phone, but in my grogginess I knocked it off the table and onto the floor. What a great way to start of the week.

By the time I reached down to get it, I had missed the call from Marcus. I called him back, waiting for him to pick up. "Hey, what did you want?" I asked once he had picked up.

"Are we walking to school today?" was his super lame question, that was not worth calling me for.

"Yes, like we always do. Be at my house at 7:30?" I asked sitting up and rubbing my eyes with my free hand.

"I'm already here," he said laughing. I groaned, another thing about Marcus, was that he was always early for everything.

"I'll be right there," I said hanging up the phone.

My room was a mess, and it took me a few minutes to find the outfit that I wanted to wear. A pair of light brown trousers and a t-shirt. Finally I pulled them out of the mess and walked down the hall to wash my face. I could hear Marcus downstairs talking to Poppy, my older sister.

After washing my face and brushing my teeth, I did my hair and walked downstairs. Marcus looked like he usually did, cool and attractive. He always got all the ladies, such a shame for me. "Hello lazy boy," he said standing up. "If you don't hurry, we'll be late for our first day back." 

I glanced at the clock with a quizical look. It was only 7:20 and school started at 8:30. I had no idea what Marcus' definition of the term late meant, but if I had to guess it was probably not being at least half an hour early. 

"Can I at least eat breakfast?" I asked pulling down a box of cereal and a bowl. 

"Sure," Poppy said grinning at me, "but there's no milk." Just as she said that I opened the fridge and realised the terrible news first-hand, for myself. 

"What a great sister you are," I groaned putting away the cereal and bowl and grabbing an apple instead. Marcus just sat there looking out the window. I knew that he was thinking about how late he was going to be when we got to school. I honestly don't even know why I was friends with him. I guess something about how opposites attract. 

After I finished my apple Marcus was getting more and more ansy. He handed me my bags, shoes, and coat and went to stand by the door, letting me know that he was ready to go. I just smiled at him as I slowly slipping into my shoes and coat. "Bye Pop," I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder. 

"See you later," she said leaving the room just as I shut the front door. 

"Why are you in such a rush?" I asked Marcus as he started to speed up the longer we walked. Marcus was usually a time freak, but not this much. 

"There's a girl at school I want to talk to, and she always gets there early too," he said picking up the pace even more. We were practically running, and I was out of breath. 

"Well you go ahead, I'll catch up with you later," I said, slowly down and finally taking a deep breath. He just nodded and me and started to jog ahead to get to school. 

Now that I was alone, and finally going a normal pace, I was able to think more about the rest of the school year and what lay ahead of me after school. My goal before getting of secondary school was to get a girlfriend and I wanted it to be Kaitlin, it just had to be. 

Just as I was in thoughts of the perfect girl, I heard another girl call my name. "Hi Alfie!" I turned to see a girl that I didn't recognise walking with another girl I didn't recognise. I wondered how they knew me. 

"Hello?" I said questionly, as they walked up to me. 

"I know you probably don't know me, but I'm Zoe Sugg, this is my friend Louise, and I'm trying out for the play today!" She said it all so quickly that it was difficult for me to take in. They both must be in loswer sixth, because I didn't recognise them at all. 

"Well it's nice to meet you Zoe and Louise, I hope you make it into the play," I said grinning at her, knowing that there was hardly a chance that she would be a lead. I left them behind as I picked up my speed to get to school faster to see Kaitlin. 

Even though the day had started off oddly, I wasn't going to let it phase me in my plans to get the lead in the play and get Kaitlin to like me. Just thinking about achieving both my goals made me ecstatic. 

xxx