Alfie

Hey guys I'm back! Sorry for the awfully long hiatus. I'm glad I took a break though, I really needed it. After some consideration I've decided to finish this novel and then hopefully start another story that isn't Zalfie related. I'd really like to get back into writing, and I'd love if you guys would continue to read my stories. Thanks! 

That night I tossed and turned; it was difficult for me to fall asleep. When I woke up in the morning, I felt anything but rested, and I dreaded going to school. I was planning on telling my mother I was sick or something when my phone buzzed, letting me know I had a notification. 

I picked it up and clicked it on, groaning at the pain the brightness of the screen caused my tired eyes. There was a new message on my Facebook account. I briefly thought how weird that was, considering the fact that I hardly used my Facebook, but I clicked on the blinking icon anyway. 

It was a message from Zoe. It seemed as if she was everywhere nowadays. She was in my dreams, she was in what I considered to be my theatre, and now she was in my phone too. 

The question in plain black text across my phone simply read, "What's your favourite kind of nut?" I was confused. This question had absolutely no context and my groggy mind was trying to comprehend what this arbitrary message meant. 

I was so tired it seemed to take ages before all the gears in my brain finally clicked into place allowing me to understand the meaning of Zoe's message. She was referring to her silly snack bag she had promised to bring me today. 

"Pistachios," I typed quickly, before clicking off my phone and sitting up. Now that I was awake it didn't seem to make any sense to go back to bed. I guess I was going to school after all. 

________________________

Marcus was doing something with Niomi in the morning so I had to walk to school by myself. I left later than usual because I did not want to run into Zoe in the morning. It felt slightly better to save that inevitable awkwardness for play rehearsal that afternoon. 

The weirdest thing happened when I walked through the front doors into the school, I ran into Louise, Zoe's friend, and I mean actually ran into her. She was walking so quickly, and I guess I was too, so we kind of just bumped into each other. 

Her books fell to the floor and I instantly blushed. "I'm so sorry, let me help you with those," I said, leaning down to help her gather her things. She didn't say anything in response, just picked up her books before briskly walking off. 

I frowned. I had never pegged Louise to be so rude. Something must have just happened that made her upset. I practically forgot about the whole incident as I walked to my maths class. 

________________________

The morning went by incredibly slowly. There was nothing exciting for me to think about. No drama had really happened yet. As sick as it sounded I wanted something to happen, and I wanted it to happen with Zoe. 

I wanted her to say "Hi" to me or smile at me in the hallway. All the attention she had been giving me the past couple of months was such a thrill. Never in my life had a girl paid any notice to me, and it was so exciting. 

I walked toward the lunch room slowly in hopes of finding Zoe, but she was no where to be seen. Instead I bumped into Jim and Tanya. They were talking about some show that had been on television last night. I tried to join the conversation, but it was almost impossible considering that fact that Jim and Tanya had this chemistry about them I couldn't penetrate, and I hadn't seen the show they were talking about. 

After saying my hasty goodbyes to give them some time alone, I sat down at an empty table and scanned the room for Marcus or Niomi. I couldn't find them and just assumed they had gone out to lunch without me. They seemed to be doing that recently. I guess it didn't really matter though. 

To pass the time, since I really wasn't hungry, I pulled out my phone. For some reason I found myself opening up the seldom used Facebook app and going to Zoe's profile. I didn't even think about what I was doing before I started scrolling through her old photos. Troye interrupted me. 

"What are you doing?" he asked with that accusatory tone he always used when speaking to me. 

"Nothing," I said quickly turning off my phone and shoving it in my pocket. "Nothing," I repeated with more force after he continued to glare at me. 

"I'd be careful if I were you," he said smugly. I could tell he had seen I was looking at Zoe's profile, and I knew he was going to tell everyone. 

"Why?" I asked quietly, looking around the spacious room to make sure no one else was going to be in on this secret.

"Zoe is seriously in love with you. It's so sad. You're like the only thing she ever talks about anymore. I would NOT get involved with that. Seriously clingy, mate!" he said with a laugh that made me hate him even more. 

Although I didn't like Zoe, I wasn't being mean to her like her was. "I thought you were supposed to be her friend," I said defensively. I was not a mean person and I couldn't just let this guy walk all over her. 

"Ya, I guess I am," he said with another one of his stupid laughs, before he just got up and left. 

Today was turning out to be a really bizarre day indeed. 

__________________________

Fourth period seemed to fly by and before I knew it the bell that signalled the end of the day was ringing. As I grabbed all my stuff I was stopped by a hand on my back. I turned to see that it was Kaitlin. Kaitlin, the girl I thought I was in love with only weeks ago. 

"You dropped this," she said holding out one of my pencils.

"Thank," I said staring at her beautiful eyes. She giggled, and I realised my awful mistake. "I mean thanks," I added blushing. I grabbed my pencil before practically running out of the classroom to avoid further embarrassment opportunities. What a day. 

By the time I made it down to the theatre almost everyone else was there. Zoe was sitting in the corner next to Joey with a brown paper bag on her lap. My name was written in large cursive letters with Sharpie on the front. When I looked closer I saw a heart and a smiley face. What had I gotten myself into?

Mr. Morgan talked to the cast for a few minutes before he told us to get in our places for the scene at the end of the show. Zoe and I weren't in this scene so we both stayed in the green room, along with a few other people. 

After the actors who were needed had left, Zoe stood up and walked over to me with her stupid bag. "Here you go," she said with her smile. 

I took the bag from her without saying anything. She just stood there as if she was waiting for something. I thought about thanking her, but if what Troye had told me was true she might think I liked her if I said thank you. Instead, I said about the worst thing possible. "Another for tomorrow?"

She just nodded very seriously and walked back to her seat. I smiled, Jim was right, I had my own personal caterer. 

xxx