Zoe

The day could not have gone by slower. I didn't have any classes with Louise, so I had no one to talk to. I wasn't a loner or anything who didn't have any friends, though. I had lots of friends; they were just the kind of friends you don't talk to about boys. If Louise was my best friend and she got annoyed when I mentioned Alfie, these other friends would never speak to me again. 

Nothing exciting happened during the day except for the fact that I forgot to finish my history project which was due today. That actually really sucked because I had never forgotten to do homework before. Luckily, my teacher really liked me and let me have another day to finish the project. 

I couldn't find Louise at lunch, which was unusual, but I didn't stop to think about it for very long. After looking for her for a few seconds I decided to have lunch in the green room with my other friends. Hopefully, where ever Louise was, she wouldn't mind. 

After my final class of the day I practically ran to my locker to grab my coat. I caught a glimpse of Louise's golden hair and smiled widely. Even though I had talked to her just this morning, it felt like I hadn't seen her in ages. 

"Louise!" I said loudly as I scampered up to our locker. 

"Hey," she said without a smile as she turned to face me.

"What's up?" I asked, quizzically. It wasn't like Louise to be in such a bad mood. 

"Nothing," she said turning back to the locker to grab her last book before shoving it in her bag. 

"Are you sure? You seem to be in a really bad mood," I said probing gently. I wanted to figure out why she was so upset before I went to play rehearsal. 

"No I'm not sure," she almost shouted, her eyes swelling with tears. "You've been acting so weird lately. The only thing you can talk about it Alfie and it's really getting on my nerves. I never see you anymore because you're always trying to find him, and I never get to walk home from school with you because you're always at play rehearsal. I feel like I've lost my best friend." A single tear spilled over the rim of her eye and slid down her cheek. 

I reached up to wipe it away, but I didn't really know how to feel. It was true I had been pretty annoying about Alfie recently, but I was constantly obsessed with different boys, that wasn't anything unusual. And the reason I hadn't seen her had nothing to do with Alfie, we just didn't have as many classes together this year. 

"I'm really sorry Lou, let's have a sleepover this weekend," I said sweetly. I glanced at my watch and internally screamed, I was going to be late to play rehearsal. "I have to go, but I love you lots. I'll call you when I get home!" I said before turning and running down the hall towards the green room. When I looked back at our locker Louise was already gone. 

A sigh escaped my lips, this was not the magical day I had hoped it would be. 

Despite my worrying at being late, I was one of the first people to arrive at play practise. I sat down next to Joey, who was actually pretty cute, and pulled Alfie's snack bag out of my backpack. I was really glad that I had remembered to make it last night, since I had absolutely no time this morning. 

To waste the time before Alfie got to rehearsal I fiddled around with the bag and tried to smooth out some of the wrinkles in it. Joey was on his phone, but he kept looking over at what I was doing and laughing. I tried to ignore him. 

Time was passing fairly quickly now and rehearsal was about to start. Alfie still wasn't here. He was always late. Just as Mr. Morgan came out of his office to talk to us Alfie walked through the door and sat in the front of the room. 

After all the actors who were needed had gone out to the stage I stood up and walked over to Alfie. "Here you go," I said smiling widely. He just took the bag and started to walk away. A frown appeared over my lips, he didn't even say thank you. Before he got too far away from me he turned back and asked for another one for tomorrow. I nodded before sitting back in my chair. 

After I had sat down I pulled out my planner and wrote myself a reminder to make Alfie's snack bag as soon as I got home. Since Alfie loved food so much I knew this would be the perfect way to get him to like me; it just had to be. 

_________________________

Play rehearsal went by fairly quickly, especially considering the fact that I didn't have any of my scenes today. During rehearsal I split my time up into doing homework and looking at Alfie. He was so attractive. He was so perfect. I really liked him. 

It was about 5 when rehearsal ended and it was already starting to get dark outside. I pulled out my phone so I could turn its flashlight on so I could better see my way home. I glanced at Alfie once more before walking out into the dark. 

As I walked I took in deep breaths of the cool air. I loved Autumn so much, it really was the best season. The best part about this Fall was that I had Alfie to think about. He made everything so much better. 

I skipped a bit of the way home I was so happy. 

__________________________

Dinner was waiting for me when I got home. I sat down across from Joe at the table after I dropped my back onto the floor. 

"Zoe, you'll bring that upstairs to your room when dinner is over, right?" my dad asked looking at me sternly. He must have had a bad day at work. 

"Yes, Daddy," I said with a smile, trying my best to put him in a better mood. Joe started talking about that girl from school. I was only half listening as I ate my mashed potatoes. All I could think about was Alfie. 

Once I had finished I asked to be excused and practically ran up to my room to call Louise, I almost forgot my bag on the way, at the last second I grabbed it. 

My room was cold and dark when I entered it. I flipped the lights on and flopped down on my bed before pulling out my phone. When I glanced at the time on my lock screen though I realised that Louise might be having dinner at the moment and I didn't want to interrupt her at her meal. Also, her parents didn't allow phones at the table. 

I decided I would work on the history project I had forgotten to finish the night before, and then I would call Louise. Unfortunately, it didn't really turn out that way. 

My history project took ages, and by the time I had finished I was exhausted, I kind of just flopped over on my bed, my project still in my lap. I was still wearing all my clothes and makeup, my light was still on as well. 

The last thing I remember was my dad knocking gently on my door, before coming in and placing my project on my desk. He tucked me in, kissed me on the forehead, and turned the lights off on his way out. It wasn't until the next morning that I realised I had forgotten to call Louise. 

xxx