Prologue

2 kits trudged through the endless storm of snow. Tired and exhausted, they searched for their only mother. It seemed like they had walked for moons, watching each other tremble with fear with the chance of never seeing their mother again. A bright yellow kit now covered with white collapsed face-first into the cold layer of snow.

"SUNNY!!" the yellow kit's brother wailed. The brother, known as Cold, was doing no better, but had a little more advantage to survival. They were both starving and thirsty, but Cold had milk last before they got lost in the snowy storm that shouted:

Can you survive? Or will you die?

Cold rushed to Sunny. He nudged him over and over, but Sunny laid unmoved, with each frail breath making his body rise up and down.

"No no no... get up Sunny, I can't lose you too," Cold cried. Cold and Sunny's only sister, Moon, died the day the blizzard arrived. She had caught a cold 2 days before the storm, and then as the wind picked up, Moon's breathing entirely stopped. Cold had no choice, but to drag Sunny's body through the snow.

"I will get you somewhere safe Sunny, or maybe find mother. We just HAVE to!" Cold yowled. Sunny only replied with a weak nod of his head. But as that happened, 3 grown up cats towered over them.

"Well look at that, 2 kits walking through the snow," one tom said.

"Quit the gossip, Gorsefang. These are kits in NEED," a she-cat retorted.

"Come on you 2. They're not ours, but we must take them in. Besides, it's part of the warrior code," the third one said.

"Ok, I will pick up," the cat known as Gorsefang gestured to Cold, "that silver kit with blue eyes. And grumpy Raventooth," pointing to the black she-cat with his tail, "can grab that young golden one with the green eyes."

"Well, let's get moving! The little one I'm holding seems to be close to..." Raventooth paused, not wanting to mention the chance of him dying. Cold wailed as Raventooth said that sentence.

"Don't worry, we have a medicine cat who can help. Her name is Lightwhisker. Anyway, my name is Gorsefang, what is yours?" Gorsefang asked. Cold paused. 

"My name... is Cold," Cold squeaked, "My brother... is... Sunny." Gorsefang noticed the pause between those words. His brother must be real sick, Gorsefang thought.

In the end, Cold, renamed as Coldkit, got some fresh milk from a queen named Addersong, but Sunny, renamed as Sunkit, died, for the herbs came to him too late.

That is what haunted Coldheart. For many moons, his brother's death, had haunted him, and he had always remembered that day.