Chapter 4

Time from last chapter: 1 moon

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around the high rock for a clan meeting!" the leader, Lakestar yowled. Cats rushed to the rock immediately. 3 kits would be apprenticed today.

"Today is the day that marks the time of new apprentices. I am glad to have these 3 kits on their way to becoming great warriors of IceClan," Lakestar paused, and then continued, "Riverkit, from this day until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Riverpaw. Your mentor will be Hailstorm." Riverpaw walked up to Hailstorm and touched noses. Gorsefeather's eyes gleamed with pride as the other warriors shouted Riverpaw's new name.

"Mistykit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Mistypaw. Your mentor will be Acornmist," Lakestar then said. Acornmist smiled and walked over to Mistypaw, stepping lightly. There was only one more kit left. It was a small she-kit, like a little runt. It was found the other day in a thunderstorm. It had wonderful golden fur with shining blue eyes.

She's just like me, lost in a storm, losing all signs of family, Coldheart thought bitterly. He prepared for Lakestar to announce the last kit's apprenticeship. She was the only one that he gave sympathy, but only a little to.

"Goldenkit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Goldenpaw. Your mentor will be..." Lakestar hesitated, and then finally said:

"Coldheart." Coldheart gulped, as seeing that some how Lakestar knew the connection between him and Goldenpaw.