(04.) EX-HYDRA.

" соблюдать "

2014, NEW YORK

2014, NEW YORK

                       AFTER Adrian wiped El's ability to share her truth time with her long lost brother, she was let go. She walked the streets of New York, alone again. Without purpose. Destination, maybe the Avenger's tower. Yet to be decided she thought.

With the little money she had left, Elise went to a café with the cheapest coffee. Mason's place.

"Hey, what can I get for you today?" A brunette girl was El's waitress.

"Just a medium latte, no sugar, extra hot please." Elise smiled at the working girl. "Of course, one latte coming right up." The girl was friendly.

"An extra hot latte, no sugar. A muffin on me." Elise watched the brunette place down her coffee and the muffin. "I know who you are, I didn't want to assume but I did and you ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and nothing to eat, so the food is on me." The waitress started to walk back inside when Elise spoke up.

"Who are you?" Elise was slumped in her chair, wanting nobody's attention but the girls. "Tavia Briar, born and raised in Manhattan, two brothers, three sisters. I'm twenty-two, a student at Columbia University."

"What do you know about me?" Elise questioned.

"I know that you went missing all those years ago. The media got you with Steve Rogers the other day." She was convincing but it wasn't enough for Elise to just let her walk away. "There's something you're not telling me." Elise could simply read her mind but she didn't want to be invasive.

"I really need to get back to work. Meet me at my place at four." Tavia then wrote her address on a napkin and handed it to Elise.

Elise thought of ways to pass the time. She could walk the park she's lapped about a hundred times. She could go to a museum. She could go back to the Avenger's tower. Or she could sit out the front of 433 W43nd St, Apt 93b for a few hours. None sounded better than the rest.

This was somewhat humorous to Elise. In the past three days, she was almost taken in by the Avengers before her half brother drugged her, held her captive for a few hours, knocked her up on truth serum before making her forget and now she was getting recognised by 'random' waitresses.

She left the coffee shop, coffee drunken and muffin, half eaten. Her no-destination wander led her to Tavia's apartment thirty-three minutes early. She spent the time coming up with questions to ask the waitress. It just didn't make any sense. None of this did.

"How long have you been waiting?" Tavia stood at the bottom of the stairs, bags in hand and curiosity in her voice.  Her hair was long and dark brown. Her eyes almost the same colour as her hair is maybe even darker but in the light, they were the colour of whisky. She was tall, maybe 5'10.

"Maybe thirty minutes. I had nowhere to be and nothing to do so I just made my way here." Elise forced a small smile. It was awkward no doubt, Tavia opted to get comfortable with the girl.

"I know this is awkward and sudden but let's go inside and talk." The walk from the complex door to apartment 6b was long. All the doors were modern but chipped wood. Each apartment number was made out of copper or gold, nailed to the door, a clear indication that the builders were on a low budget or this place was made in the '60s. When Tavia pushed the door open, natural light swarmed the apartment. A modern place just fit for a twenty-two years old college student.

"Make yourself comfortable and I'll get us some coffee."

Elise could feel the butterflies in Tavia's stomach, the nervousness coursing throughout her body. Elise noticed the way Tavia's hands shook as she walked out with two mugs. One look and Elise took the anxiety away from the girl. Immediately her presence was more lively and a wide grin was plastered on Tavia's face.

"What do you wanna talk 'bout?" Tavia's voice was benevolent and soft.

"I just want to understand all of this." Elise tapped into Tavia's thoughts. 'So do I'

The two talked till the sun went down with the day. Elise told Tavia everything, from her half-brother to the last time she saw her mom. Tavia explained that her grandmother knew Steve Rogers when he was a teenager, they went to school together and that his best friend tried to make a move on her once. They hugged for thirty-seven seconds before Elise left apartment 6b. Tavia told Elise that apartment 6b will always be open for her.

Elise knew she would be alright. HYDRA hadn't tried to find her in a few years, assuming they let her off the hook. She would stay at the compound, she would see Tavia here and there. She would learn to control her mind, learn all aspect of her powers. She would come to feel happiness.

Buzz. "Its's Elise Vance. Please, can I come in?" The automatic doors opened and she hesitantly wandered inside.

When she was inside of the lobby. It was lifeless, without movement. The deserted building with lights regarding no purpose gave Elise an uneasy feeling.

"Where did you go?" The familiar voice that belonged to Steve Rogers made Elise jump. "I-uh don't remember. The last thing that I do remember is being in that conference room." Elise subconsciously cracked her fingers out of nervousness.

"Let's head upstairs." Steve walked with his head low and his hands in his pockets. He was exhausted. He was thinking about Bucky. He was thinking about what clothes Elise would wear to bed. Would Tony let her stay. How she could take his bed if it came down to it. Elise tapped out after that.

"I'm sorry about what happened, I don't remember it but I know it was something bad." Elise didn't have to force a smile this time.

"Don't worry about it, we handled it." Elise caught a glimpse of his small smile before if turned into a frown. "You'll have to explain everything to Tony, he's not too happy."

"Steve I don't remember anything besides what I did today." The look on Elise's face read worry. How was she supposed to explain anything if she didn't know anything.

As they slowly wandered towards the familiar office, Elise noticed the strips of lights underneath each door she walked past. She tried to hear something, anyone. She could feel a lot of tiresome. "Who's here?" Elise pointed to the doors. "The Avengers."

Elise asked no more questions. They made their way to Tony's office and Elise took a seat immediately.

"We're going to try and help you, we're gonna find who did this to you—who is still doing this to you, but you have to promise us that you will be honest and you'll comply."

Elise cringed hard at the last word,  a chill ran down her spine and her hands started to shake. Memories flooded her brain of the days she would work for HYDRA.

"The wrong choice of word Stark, next time say obey or go along with the treatments, something that won't trigger us ex-HYDRA guinea pigs." The rough voice appeared through the frosted stain glass.

"Buck, you shouldn't be in here." Steve stood up to escort his friend out. "It's alright Steve, you could probably use my help."

"This is Elise Vance."

'Yeah I know who she is.'

AUTHORS NOTE:

I hope it's not too boring, I just don't want things to move too fast. Endgame = 40 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

written ( Feb 3rd/16th 2019. )
edited ( Feb 16th 2019. )

Love, bells.