But one thing is for certain.

He is never going to choose me.

We had lots of fun that day, played Valentine's Day games, and had a Valentine's Day party, though they insisted we call it a 'Friendship Party', which everyone made lots of jokes about. It was so fun, I almost forgot about the competition!

Almost.

At the end of the day, the teacher always lets us run around and talk with eachother, and we had about half an hour to do so. The other girls all had their gifts, and I followed them, though I had nothing.

Kennedy's POV
We were walking over to Philip. I had a giant teddy bear, Madison had a box of chocolate, Lilac had a beautiful card containing a poem, that was in the shape of a heart, and Theodosia had... Nothing.

The loser brought nothing. Well, that's one of us out of the running. Philip will never choose her now. He will probably choose me though, I am way prettier than everyone else.

But...

What if he does choose me? Do I even want to go with him? I originally joined the competition to beat those brats, but now that we are doing it... If I won... I wouldn't go with him.. I already like Lilac.

No! I don't like Lilac! Last time I said that to my mom she said it was gross and weird and she's right! I don't like Lilac one bit!

Madison went first. She handed him her box of chocolate and blew him a kiss. He just looked confused, but thanked her anyway. Then, Lilac went. She was blushing as she read the poem aloud. "Roses are red, violets are blue, you're really great, and I love you!" She said in a rush, then ran behind me

I went up and gave him the teddy bear blankly. I didn't want him to choose me. Then, we forced Theodosia to go up there. To be honest, I just wanted to see her humiliate herself, but what she said next left us all awestruck.

Theodosia's POV
They shoved me up to Philip, who was looking rather confused as to why we were giving him all these gifts, and I started speaking to him.

"Philip, this was a competition to see who could dazzle you the most, to see who you would choose at the end. My mother unfortunately.. passed.. last night and I let it slip my mind." I managed to croak out, almost breaking out into a sob.

"I know that you won't choose me because I don't have anything to give you, unlike everyone else, but I just want you to know that I really, really like you. I wish you liked me too, but I know that will never be true, because of the way you always look at Madison. I know you think she's pretty. It's ok. I can accept that." I said, on the verge of tears.

Philip looked at me shocked before reaching behind his desk and pulling out a card that was at least 3 feet tall, balloons that spelled out "Happy Valentine's Day!", and a bouquet of roses.

Philip's POV
I had no idea that Theo liked me this much. The truth is, I like her too, and I loved every moment of the shocked expression on her face as she gazed at all of the extravagant gifts I had gotten for her.

"Guess I'm not that original, but here it goes" I said, pulling out the giant card and opening it.

I grabbed her hand.

"Hella cute,
Hella fine,
Be my hella valentine?" I said, looking her in the eye before I realized everyone else in the classroom was gawking at us, including the teacher.

I was expecting the teacher to yell at me for saying "hella" in school but instead, she just covered her mouth with her hand, tears in her eyes.

Wow. Was it THAT moving? I literally asked her to be my hella valentine.

Then, everyone started clapping, and Theo hugged me. I hugged her back. It was the end of the day on a Friday, but luckily my dad is inviting his "friends" over later today, which included bringing Theo.

But then I remembered. This was a competition because people liked me. I looked over at Madison, she looked mad, upset, and hurt, with tears in her eyes, a sob threatening to escape her lips.

Lilac looked disappointed, but not nearly so as Madison. In fact, Lilac looked like she could shrug it off and walk away.

Kennedy looked very relieved, as if she never wanted to participate in this contest in the first place.

Madison's POV
That jerk.. Made me believe. That there was something special between us only to shut me down after. How could he do this to me? How? Why? I thought he liked me...

Lilac's POV
I was really disappointed but decided not to show it. In all honesty, it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I knew he didn't like me, and wouldn't, and that poem I read to him not only was untrue, but also just plain awkward to read.

I do have my eyes out for another boy though.

Kennedy's POV
I'm so glad he chose Theodosia. I don't know what I would have said if he had chose me. I would've made a fool of myself and him and it would ruin my reputation. But that doesn't mean I don't still want to cry at the thought of Lilac.

It's not weird that I like her, right? I mean, we're friends, so it should be ok, right? So then why did I still feel.. icky?

AN
Not gonna lie, this was kinda based off some stuff I read on Tumbler. This also is my longest chapter yet! It has over 1600 words! I know that's not long compared to other authors but it's a big accomplishment for meh so shHHH