So being, the King glanced at the Dwarves grimly when they arrived while his anger still simmered beneath the surface. "Unbind them, they are ragged and weary." As the Elves slowly moved to do so the King continued, "besides they need no ropes in here," said he. "There is no escape from my magic doors for those who are once brought inside." He questioned them after that over and over, but got more of the same answers as Thorin had given him. He tried to talk to his daughter, but surprisingly she was staring into space.

"What have we done, O king?" said Balin. "Is it a crime to be lost in the forest, to be hungry and thirsty, or to be trapped by spiders? Are the spiders your tame beasts or your pets, if killing them makes you angry?" This question made the King angrier than ever, remembering the time they all thought his daughter was lost to the Spiders and having already been questioned as to his allowances toward the Spiders.

As such, his reply was none to kind, "It is a crime to wander in my realm without my leave. Do you forget that you were in my kingdom, using the road that my people made? Did you not three times pursue and trouble my people in the forest and rouse the spiders with your riot and clamour? After all the disturbance you have made I have a right to know what brings you here, and if you will not tell me now, I will keep you all in prison until you have learned sense and manners!" He stood quickly. "Put them in separate cells." He said in Silvan so the Dwarves did not understand. "Give them food and drink, but do not allow them to pass the doors of their cells until one of them will tell me what is going on." Almiel stood quickly and left the throne room before her father could call her back. Meanwhile, Legolas and Taenron were two of the Elves that were busy taking the Dwarves away.

It left Thranduil to fume upon his throne.

*

Bilbo had hurried away from the throne room. The Elven Lady had seemed to see right through him, and it made him feel rather naked. So he left quickly trying to figure out how to free his friends. "Well, well, an invisible Halfling. I must admit, I've never seen such before." He heard. He turned quickly and found the Lady staring at him.

"You can see me?" He said softly.

"No, I am not that powerful, Master Baggins. I simply feel your presence." She also felt another presence, but that one she would save to tell someone much wiser. "I only know your general direction."

"You are looking right at me." He said even softer if that was possible. Almiel smiled.

"You have no need to fear me. Right now, however, I know where you are because I can hear you." She cocked her head. "As it so happens, I know why you are here."

"You do?"

"Yes, though I will not tell you why, if you must know something, I happened to hear from Mithrandir not so long ago."

"Oh," Bilbo said though he said nothing else. Suddenly Almiel laughed.

"Come on, I know you're hungry. Just follow me, and for heaven's sake keep quiet. The King discovers you and you have no chance of escaping without telling him why you were here." Bilbo followed her as she led him away. She slipped into a hallway and into a small bedroom. "Stay here, you can rest if you like. I'll bring you some food from the kitchens."

Bilbo waited as she left, wondering once again what he had got himself into and where his companions were. He doubted the Lady would tell him outright where they were, as nice as she seemed. He felt bad taking their food without payment. He would find a way to pay them back, someday. If he lived through this adventure.

Speaking of that adventure, why would Gandalf tell that Elf, Lady or not, about their adventure? He would have to ask Gandalf next time he saw him.

The Lady came back in the door with a tray of food. "Here you are. Feel free to come in here when you like, no one else will. Food is down the hallway, and wine is in the cellars. Just remember not to let anyone else know you're here. I would have little chance of stopping the King should he decide to keep you in prison for a hundred years. Trust me, he means threats when he gives them, though he's generally rather kind and generous. Leave it to Dwarves to burst in when he's in a mood already. Anyway, I have to go. He will be looking for me. Good-bye Master Baggins." She left Bilbo feeling rather confused and yet a whole lot less fearful than before. Somehow she knew his name. He supposed that had to do with her ability of sensing him as well. None of the other Elves seemed to, even the King. It made him wonder who she was. As much as he wanted to know, he needed to find a way out for his companions as well.

Soon.

*

Almiel stared off toward the South where she felt something was about to happen. Despite all the merry making in these summer months in the Wood-Elves home, there was darkness and evil afoot. Of what kind, she was not sure though it felt like it had near Dol Guldur. Therefore, it was not entirely to her surprise that she soon felt a presence approaching her. One she knew quite well.

She slipped from the palace and into the forest and met him there. "What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Do I need a reason to visit you?" She cocked her head at the Marchwarden in front of her.

"Yes, otherwise the Lady would not let you come."

Haldir sighed. "Then unfortunately, you are right."

"What is wrong?" She asked, seeing some form a hesitance behind his eyes.

"Mithrandir sent me. He was wondering if your father would let you come though this time I am going as well. As is Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman though Saruman is not to see you." Almiel looked back toward the Palace.

"If you will wait until tomorrow morning, I will join you."

"Are you so certain? What of your father?"

"Yes I am certain, but, no, my father is not going to know." Haldir's eyes widened and his skin seemed to pale.

"Do you want me dead?"

"Nay, but my father has already given me permission to accompany Mithrandir."

"That was long ago." Haldir said softly.

"Not but a short amount of time, you know that." Almiel said. "Besides, I have an odd sort of feeling about this."

"If you say so," Haldir said.

Almiel rolled her eyes. "Just stay hidden. I will meet you out here late tonight." She assured him before she returned to the palace. Haldir sighed as he watched her leave.

This whole business was a disaster waiting to happen.