Irya had no intention of killing the girl, but she was down to few options. An attack like this could not be taken lightly, but she had to admit she was impressed with the Coretian's skills. If she hadn't been wearing her leather breastplate under her regular clothes, she might have been in trouble. It was a good reminder why she kept at least light armor on at all times. She could feel extra leeway where the blade had pierced the cured leather — a throw that fast and straight was sure to have done significant damage.

Fascination took hold, and Irya could not resist letting it lead her just a bit further. "What is it that you truly want, Rinnet?"

"I already told you. I want you dead!"

The Coretian writhed again, and Irya pressed down. "Revenge, then. Will that petty satisfaction get you far enough?"

Rinnet's glare was her only response.

"How long did you revel in killing your fellow Coretian before the thrill wore off?"

Silence.

"What about Distya? Surely murdering one of my most valuable fighters, Yurovin's dear friend, should have kept you satisfied for longer than a few days."

"What does it matter?" Rinnet hissed. "I don't have to stop. I'll never stop."

"Hm. It's getting disappointing, isn't it?"

"This is a waste of my time. You'd be long dead by now if you would have fought with any honor at all!"

Irya ignored the insult. "You don't want to kill me, Rinnet, you never did. What you want is a challenge."

Rinnet's legs started to fall asleep under Irya's weight, the Tevarian kneeling just above her knees. This and the ache spreading in her joints where she'd hit the stone floor fueled her intense hatred. It brought her back to a point of focus, and she stopped struggling. "So what if you're right?" she said. "If you've earned your right to lead as you say, what's more of a challenge than defeating you?"

"What's in it for you?" Irya twirled one of Rinnet's knives. "You already know you won't gain power over Tevar. You'll be executed immediately, and Yurovin will step into the position as chief commander."

"A pity to think you'd let that happen."

"I won't if I don't have to," Irya replied. "We can make a compromise right now that suits us both."

Rinnet narrowed her eyes. "And what is that?"

Irya paused. Unconventional ideas could be dangerous, but she was more than willing to give this one a full attempt. There would not be an opportunity like this again, she was sure.

"You help me dethrone the Coretian queen, and I'll install you in her place."

Rinnet didn't blink. "Liar."

"There are conditions." Irya brushed a loose hair from her eyes. Her arm freed, Rinnet started to swing overhead, but Irya slammed her hand back down to pin Rinnet's wrist. The Coretian let out an involuntary yelp. "That is, if you can handle a deal this lucrative."

"What do you mean, if I could handle it? You think I couldn't do it?"

"I know you can't do it on your own, and from what I know of you, you don't seem capable of working with others."

"I don't need others," Rinnet snapped. "They slow me down."

"Then I can't offer you this opportunity, and I have to kill you now."

Rinnet scowled. She was tired of staring into Irya's sharp chin, her cold hazel eyes. "Say I agree."

"You answer to me as your commanding officer and no one else. You gather the information I want and prove your worth, both as a warrior and a diplomat." Irya took note of how quickly Rinnet's expression soured at the word diplomat. "As a Coretian, you'll have a better chance of getting into the queen's palace unnoticed than any Tevarian.You help us in, the queen is captured or killed, and Tevar absorbs Coreti as an independent state under your figurehead rule. Of course, the rest of your staff and advisors will be Tevarian."