Chapter Thirty-Two

Shelagh had insisted on continuing work regardless of her attack. It had shaken her but she was not seriously injured, only minor bruising around her neck. Patrick was overprotective of Shelagh, it was thought he blamed himself for not being there.

Timothy was the first to wake in the early Saturday morning, he got dressed and made his way to the front door, letting himself slip out quietly.
He was meeting with Patsy again, the pair had made a deal that had been quite forgotten about in the wake of Shelagh's illness. Patsy was sitting patiently on the steps of Nonnatus again, waiting for the young boy.

"Morning Tim, how are you?" She asked, beaming as he sat beside her.
"I'm good, it's been a while since anyone's asked me that, everyone's been so busy with mum which is understandable..." Tim said, Patsy nodded, she picked up a cup of Horlicks from beside her hand handed it to Tim, taking another for herself and holding it between her cold hands. The pair sat in silence for a while.
"So, who's the boy?" She asked, Tim smiled awkwardly.

"His- his name is Alex, he's my age and he's my best friend. He was there for me the whole time mum was sick, never once leaving my side or getting bored of me worrying." Tim whispered, Patsy smiled and put an arm around Timothy's shoulder.
"Sounds like you found a keeper. And if you love him as much as you seem to I'm sure your parents will too. So what'dya say? Shall we go ahead with our deal today?" Patsy proposed, Tim thought for a second and then nodded, shaking her hand.

"I can come with you if you like" Patsy offered as Timothy began to walk away. The boy smiled and shook his head.
"That's okay Nurse Mount, I can do this." Tim said surely. Patsy beamed and headed back inside. Timothy walked down the street, anxiety sitting in the pit of his stomach. He tried to ignore it and continued on.
Alex tapped him on the shoulder and Timothy jumped slightly.
"Al! You scared me..." Tim exclaimed, Alex laughed and lead his boyfriend into their hidden spot away from prying eyes and gossip.

"I'm uh, I'm gonna tell my parents Alex, now actually." Timothy said quietly, Alex inhaled deeply.
"Are... Are you sure?" He asked quietly, Tim nodded and took Alex's hand in his, squeezing gently.
"I spoke to one of the nurses and we made a deal, I tell my parents and she tells her friends" said Tim, Alex pursed his lips.
"Should I come too?" He asked.
"No, I'll be okay. I love you Al" Timothy assured his concerned boyfriend. *

Home

Tim sighed anxiously before entering his house, His mother greeted him with a warm smile.
"Mum, Dad, I need to tell you something" He said nervously, Shelagh put down the cloth she was cleaning with and walked over worriedly.
"What's the matter, dear?" She asked, Patrick set down his tea and moved over on the sofa to allow his wife space to sit beside him. Tim stood Infront of his parents awkwardly.
"Do uh, do you remember me mentioning Alex?" He asked, the couple nodded and Tim gulped.

"Well, he's... He's not just a friend. Do uh, do you understand?" He said scrunching his eyes shut as spoke. Shelagh softened, sighing heavily.
"Oh darling, come here" she sighed, standing up and pulling Tim into a tight hug. Timothy hugged his mother.
"Did you ever think we wouldn't love you all the same?" She whispered.
Tim pulled away, looking at his father worriedly. Patrick hadn't moved or spoken.
"Dad?" He asked, Shelagh stepped forward and placed a hand on her husband's shoulder.

"Patrick, come now" she said quietly. Timothy gritted his teeth as he watched his father's stone face.
Patrick stood up and left the room, closing the bedroom door behind him. Shelagh gasped and pulled her son under her arm, rubbing his back soothingly.
"I knew he'd react this way..." Timothy sighed, Shelagh shook her head, she couldn't believe Patrick was acting this way. She reassured Tim and went in pursuit of her husband.
She closed the door behind her and stormed over to where Patrick sat on the bed.

"What on earth was that all about!? He's your son Patrick! You can't just turn your back on him!" She exclaimed. Patrick didn't speak.
"You promised his mother you'd always protect him, he needs your protection now Patrick." She pleaded.
Patrick closed his eyes and exhaled heavily and looked at his wife.
"I never- did I do something wrong?" He asked, Shelagh shook her head.
"No Patrick, nothing you have or could have done would change this, it's a part of him as much as an arm or a leg is." She said, sitting beside him.
"I thought you were indifferent about that lifestyle?" Shelagh asked.
"I am it's just, different with my son" Patrick sighed, his wife chuckled.

"The only difference is that you won't have a daughter in law one day" She said, Patrick sighed and nodded.
"You're right, I suppose I owe him an apology" Patrick said.
"I think that would be in order." She replied. The pair returned to Tim who was still in the sitting room, his head in his hands.
"Timothy" Patrick sighed, the young boy jumped and sat upright.
"Come here son" his father said, Tim stood and stepped closer to Patrick who pulled him into a hug.
"I'm so sorry Tim, I love you no matter what." He told his son quietly.

*A girl was reading this over my shoulder as I wrote on the bus and I was so embarrassed ffs