Chapter Nineteen

Patrick put down his cup of tea and walked to the door.
Bang bang bang bang bang
Someone really needed that door opened... He pulled the door open and suppressed a chuckle, what he saw was Patsy and Barbara with an extremely drunk Shelagh in between them, when she saw her husband she flung herself onto him
"Woah-! Hey there. You had fun I see?" Patrick laughed propping Shelagh up onto his side lifting her up and putting her onto the sofa.
"Yup! I had BABYSSSSSHHAAAM" Shelagh squealed, Patsy facepalmed
"I'm so sorry! I promised I'd look after her and look what's happened!" Barbara sighed sitting next to her drunk friend, Patrick shook his head kindly.
"Not at all. I was expecting this, I can deal with her. Go and get some rest." He told them putting his hand on Shelagh's shoulder.
"I don't need DEALING WIVTH" Shelagh protested angrily trying to stand up but failing miserably, Patrick attempted not to laugh at his wife.
"Thank you. I'll bring something to help the headache tomorrow." Patsy smiled, kissing her drunk friend's forhead affectionately.
"Stay put, I'll get you some water." He told Shelagh kissing her cheek softly, she nodded, her eye lids were starting to droop and Patrick could tell it wouldn't take long to get her to sleep.
When he came back into the sitting room Shelagh was sitting upright, teary eyed and looking at a small leather bound book, her diary.
"Shelagh...? Are you alright?" He asked sitting next to his wife, Shelagh shook her head, sobbing slightly.
"I betrayed him..." She whispered shutting the small book, Patrick furrowed his brow, confused.

"Who? Betrayed who...?" He asked putting his hand on her back pulling her closer into a hug. Shelagh sighed into his shoulder.

''God... I betrayed God..." She sobbed, Patrick sighed kissing her forehead.

"No, you didn't. He was asking a different path for you. No one blames you." He told her rubbing her back soothingly. Shelagh sobbed harder, obviously alcohol made her emotional.
"am sorry" she said drunknly through muffled sobs. Patrick lent back to look into his wife's eyes.

"Why on earth are you apologizing?" He asked softly, Shelagh looked away.

"I'm a fail-ruh... I failed at giving you childruns-- and when we had them I failed at being their mum..." She said, her voice was drunkenly slurred and Patrick couldn't help but find it cute.
"You didn't fail. You gave me more than I could've dreamed for. You saved me and Tim from insanity." He chuckled rubbing her shoulder with his thumb. Shelagh nodded pulling herself back together.
"I don't feel thah way." She mumbled. Patrick smiled pulling her into a hug, her hair smelled like menthol cigarettes and the front of her shirt was damp with spilled alcohol but he held her just as close.