Chapter Sixteen

Shelagh had been doing a lot better, she was still on maternity leave plus - much to Shelagh's protest, some extra time off on account of her postnatal depression. Trixie, Barbara, Patsy and Delia had the day off and planned to go to a club but had promised Sister Julienne they would pay a visit to Shelagh to keep her company and do check-ups on mother and baby.
''Well Shelagh in your husband's words you're doing tickety-boo and marvellous!'' Patsy said sitting next to Shelagh and sipping her tea. Trixie walked into the room with Beatrix smiling broadly
''I have to agree, Beatrix is doing wonderfully sweetie! Her grip is getting much stronger and I even got a smile out of her!'' She giggled handing the baby to Barbara who had been gazing hopefully at the little one for ages, Barbara flashed a smile at Shelagh who seemed thankful for the break.
''So, I heard gossip about some 'happenings' in the clinic on Thursday Shelagh! Care to expand?'' Trixie asked raising an eyebrow at her friend who had started to turn pink again.
''I-I'm sure I don't know what you mean! Me and Doctor Turner were simply discussing a patient...'' Shelagh started, growing more flustered by the second, The girls giggled
''Is that so? Well I'm not sure why Sister Julienne and Doctor Turner couldn't make eye contact the whole session then! I was there and I have to say it was the most awkward state of affairs I've ever been involved with!'' Barbara chimed in, Shelagh bit her lip awkwardly
''I--we were just...'' She tried, her voice cracking slightly, The girls broke into another fit of giggles
''Don't worry Shelagh, they're just itching for some gossip. Any way we should be off, we're meeting Valarie at the new club down by the dancing maiden.'' Delia said sternly glaring at the others. Shelagh looked up at Delia starting to smile a bit.
''Club? Will you take me with you?'' Shelagh gasped standing up, Barbara sucked air through her teeth quietly.
''Shelagh, It's so soon after having a baby... and with your condition... It wouldn't be advised...'' She sighed standing up to look into Shelagh's eyes.
''Well let's ask my doctor what he thinks then, shall we?'' Shelagh laughed walking to the telephone and calling the GP.

A lot of convincing later and Patrick had given Shelagh a reluctant OK.
''He'll be back early to look after the children, He said it'll be fine!'' She laughed happily. Trixie put down her drink and stood up
''I'll help you find an outfit. You can't exactly go in a skirt and apron can you?'' She giggled taking Shelagh's hand and dragging her into the bedroom.