The Image in the Scales

Trigger warning: Death of a secondary character

"I can't believe we all managed to pass all of our exams!" Ron exclaimed proudly brandishing his exam papers as he leaned on his crutch. His foot was yet to heal from Sirius' nasty bite but it was nice to see him out of the hospital wing.

"I know! I was certain I would drop my Ancient Runes Grades." Hermione said.

"Oh come on Hermione, we all knew you were going to top the year level again," y/n said. She had once again done well in her exams, the only grade she was waiting on was Potions. OWL exam scores wouldn't come out until the summer so until then, she would have to wait in anticipation to see if she would be accepted into Snape's NEWT class.

"I'm surprised we even made it through the year to sit our exams." Harry chuckled.

"Never a dull moment at Hogwarts," Ron said, smiling.

The four entered the great hall for their last breakfast of the year. The Hogwarts express would depart from Hogsmeade in only a couple hours to take the students home for the summer, marking the end of their third year at Hogwarts. y/n was the most excited and most nervous she had ever been to return home. The thought of seeing her Grandmother again after almost a year of no contact brought a smile to her face yet made her stomach churn. All she could do know was rehearse in her head the apology she had been drafting for the last few days. 

The four had only made it a few steps into the hall, y/n didn't even have the chance to break away from the Gryffindors to join her fellow Slytherins when Seamus Finnigan came running up to Harry with a wild look on his face. "Can I have a go, Harry? After you of course!"

Neville was right behind him, "Where ever did you get it?"

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked, having no idea what all the commotion was about. 

"Come on, let the man through!" Ron shouted, equally as curious to see what everyone was crowding around.

y/n made her way to the front of the cluster of students to see a long brown paper parcel laying on the Gryffindor table. A wave of nostalgia hit her as she remembered back in their first year when another mysteriously long brown paper parcel arrived on the Gryffindor table. She noticed a tag addressing it to "Mr Harry Potter" and that it had been partially unwrapped. "It's addressed to you, Harry, but looks like someones taken the liberty of opening it for you," she said shooting a glare at Fred and George sat in front of the parcel.

"What are you looking at us for?" They said in unison. y/n could only smile and roll her eyes. 

"Go on, open it!" Ron said.

Harry tore away the remaining paper to reveal a brand new broom. 

"It's a Firebolt!" Fred exclaimed.

"It's the fastest broom in the world!" George added.

"Bit of an upgrade from your Nimbus, hey?" y/n said nudging Harry who had the goofiest childlike grin on his face. 

"But who sent it?" Harry asked.

"No one knows!" Seamus replied.

Hermione reached into the cluster of paper and pulled out a large grey feather, "This came with it." she said with a knowing look. 

Harry smiled fondly at the feather only he, Hermione and y/n recognised. 

Fred and George butted their heads into the moment they were having, "Well are you gonna test it out or what?" Fred said.

The next thing she knew, y/n was running out to the courtyard with a large amount of the third years, following Harry to see the Firebolt in action. He had tied the grey feather around the end of the broom, the tendrils blowing in the May wind.