The Beings of Light

y/n came upon a fearsome sight. Harry was only a few feet away from the monstrous form of Lupin as he threw Sirius' dog body against a rock with bone-chilling ease. Sirius winced in pain as he made contact with the stone but got up again and again without fail to battle the werewolf.

Harry, who had seen enough family members hurt already, didn't hesitate in picking up a jagged rock from the ground and throwing it at Lupin's head. The beast turned from Sirius' frail body to Harry. There was no glimmer of humanity left in his dark, cold eyes. Only animal instinct and a thirst for blood.

y/n rushed to Harry's side, clutching onto his arm, readying herself to pull him from danger. Harry immediately stood in front of y/n to shield her in turn. Lupin let out a heinous roar and began to advance on the pair in anger. He lifted a paw, ready to strike when a shrill howl cut through the cold night air. The beast stopped in his tracks and lifted his snout searching for the fellow werewolf calling out to him. Another howl echoed in the distance and at this, Lupin howled back and bounded off in search of the caller.

y/n and Harry let out a long-held sigh of relief but their moment of safety was cut short. Ahead in the distance, Sirius was slowly and messily transforming into a human again, all the while struggling to stay on his feet. It was only when the figure of a beaten and bruised man had taken full shape that Sirius was able to remain steady, but only to quickly dip out of consciousness and tumble down a hill as he fell.

Harry set off immediately in his Godfather's direction, with y/n catching up behind. The tall grass whipped against y/n's legs and ankles as she chased after Harry. The night and all around them was completely dark aside from the glowing full moon that had changed the course of that night. y/n could barely make out Harry's figure in front of her as she aimlessly followed him.

The pair stumbled down the steep hillside until they came to the banks of the Black Lake. It was a part of lake mainly surrounded by trees and bush. It would be very hard for anyone to simply stumble upon this place so the bay was seemingly untouched. All except for the body of Sirius Black laying unconscious at the water's edge.

"No..." Harry breathed as he sprinted through thick trees down to the lake, "Sirius!"

Harry was at his side in an instant. y/n loomed over his shoulder and winced when she saw the deep gashes adorning his thin malnourished body. The sight re-awoke the pain in her arm as a jolt of burning heat shot through her body. She brought her hand to the wound and grasped it tightly, begging Merlin for the pain to subside.

And then as soon as it came, the heat subsided. And it was met with a chill that was far too intense for the time of year.

The wind began to pick up and the night somehow grew darker.

Harry had noticed the eery change in temperature as well. He looked to y/n with a look that immediately showed his discomfort.

The temperature dropped further still, and despite the shrill wind blowing through the cold air, the trees remained silent and still, as if the life they held had been stolen from them.

The water of the black lake began to freeze over as the immense cold of the night reached y/n's core. She didn't know if she was shaking from the cold or fear. An almost primal instinct washed over her as her breath began to quicken, the hot air from her mouth escaping her lips in small plumes of smoke in the air.

All three felt an uneasy presence settle above them. Sirius opened his eyes ever so slightly and then as wide as he could stretch them as he stared up into the sky with horror. Above them, a hundred dementors were circling their position on the banks of the lake, growing ever closer to them with hunger.

"No... No!" Harry cried. He took out his wand, "Expecto Patronum!" A feeble light emitted from the edge of his wand shielding them for an instant until a dementor swooped right through the weak spell and down onto Sirius.

He writhed and gasped as the dementor feasted upon any happy memory that hadn't been stolen from him in Azkaban. The dementor flew back up and Sirius fell still again. More dementors seeped into the scene through the dense trees across the lake.

"Expecto... Patronum!" Harry cast again, but alas, the charm was not strong enough to ward the creatures off. "y/n!" Harry cried, "Help me!"

y/n was transfixed with horror on the ground, frozen with fear as the coldness around her began to consume her.

"Please... I need you!"

The pleading in his voice was too dire to ignore. He was exhausted from the magical demands of the Patronus charm and would soon no longer be able to hold his wand straight.

y/n reached for her wand got shakily to her feet. The ebony wood clutched tightly in her hands as she pointed it at the dementors looming closer and closer.

"Expecto Patronum!" she cried with as much force as she could muster. Another light bloomed from her wand and shielded them, but only for a moment. The weakness brought on by the cold and the overwhelming presence of fear and hopelessness drained y/n of her strength and so the charm died out.

Immediately, a dementor swooped down on her. She screamed in agony as the pain of past memories were brought to the forefront of her mind. The dementors did not relent. They kept on consuming every thought of happiness they could until they had their fill. One after another, the dementors would attack them, not giving any mind to the screams and wails that echoed around the silent air.

y/n collapsed and fell to her knees beside Harry, her body numb with fear and her mind weak. Harry tried to cast another charm but was met with the same fate as y/n. The pair trembled on the stony banks of the lake as they watched helplessly as the dementors fed on Sirius.

The man gasped and then everything went silent. A small orb of light floated out from his lips and up towards the awaiting dementors. It was like watching his very soul leave his body.

The edges of y/n's vision began to blur. She fought with the remaining strength she had to hold onto any memory of a smile, a laugh, a loving embrace... but it all seemed too much.

Her eyes were about to submit to the lull of unconsciousness when a bright light appeared on the other side of the frozen over lake. Two figures. Two beings made of light watched the scene. One, large and planted firmly on the ground. The other, floating in the air and twisting and twirling ethereally.

Then, the beings began to send off pulses and waves of blue-white light. The light made the dementors wilt away and be repelled from the three on the lake's edge. As the light washed over her, y/n felt the warmth of happy memories flood back to her in enormous waves of joy. The beings continued to ward off the dementors until there were none in sight.

The small orb of light began to float back down to Sirius. And as it passed into his mouth, he gasped and breathed in the air like he had been brought back to life. Harry smiled with as much strength as he could muster and he and y/n looked across the water to see whom their saviours were.

The light was fading and the beings of light began to dim. As the light in their bodies grew smaller, two figures, two people bearing wands were behind them. But Harry and y/n couldn't fight the temptation to go out any longer.

Their eyes grew heavy and their bodies went limp as they fell to the ground, lying side by side

———)OOO(———

Hope you liked the update. It's probably one of the best I've done in a while in my eyes. Sometimes my writing is full of emotion and descriptive vocabulary, and then sometimes it's bland and emotionless. I feel like this is a step up from my usual writing, but what do you all think? Let me know!

Have a good day loves 🖤

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍