Chapter thirty-four

The following day, I went to school with my mood completely sour. My eyes were puffy and my head ached. I didn't know Peter had such effect on me until yesterday. Seeing that video made me so weak that I cried throughout the night until sleep eventually enveloped me.

"Daniella, why do you look like you've been crying?" Adam asked when I got into the class and had my seat.

"Do I look that way?" I asked, my voice so hoarse that it came out as a whisper.

"Yes you do! Don't tell me your aunt beat you this morning."

If my aunt beat me, you think I'd be like this.

"No, no she didn't." I shook my head. The thought of the video I watched yesterday played out in my head and that made tears well up in my eyes. I stifled back the tears threatening to pull down from my eyes.

"Then why do you look this way? Wait, is that tears I see in your eyes?" Adam quizzed, trying to meet my eyes. I turned away and the tears pulled off from my eyes. "You're crying Daniella. What is wrong Daniella, tell me?" He asked worriedly.

"Adam—" I faced him to tell him the reason I was crying, but words couldn't proceed from my mouth, so I just placed my head on the desk and cried the more.

Adam placed his hand on my back without uttering a word.

"Class greet!" The captain called out.

I lifted my head and saw the literature teacher standing in front of the class. I wiped the tears off my face and join the class as I rose to my feet to greet her. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Adam looking at me.

"Have your seat. How was your holiday?" She asked.

A loud incoherent rambling emanated from the students.

"That I asked of how your holidays were doesn't mean you'd act like barbarians. If you want to answer me, speak one at a time." She said with a grimace on her face. I'm sure I have told you about the literature teacher before. She wasn't one to tolerate any form of frivolity in her class. She was uptight and strict. That made students not to like her.

"It was fine ma." Prudence said aloud.

"Mine was boring." Someone else said.

"Hope you all didn't use the holidays to just eat rice and chicken. I want to believe you read your books too." The teacher said questioningly.

There was no response.

"That's by the way. Captain I'm guessing not everyone has resumed, seeing that there are just few students in the class." She said.

"Yes ma." Ayo responded.

Just then, Peter walked into the class, his uniform so clean and ironed and his wavy hair was obviously cut recently in an Afro. I couldn't delude myself, I had really missed his handsome face. But seeing him right now intensified the resentment I felt towards him. He was such a cheat. How could he betray my trust in him?

"Mister man, why are you just coming to my class?" The literature teacher queried Peter.

Peter scratched his head like he was at a loss for words. "I'm sorry ma." He apologised.

I couldn't help but feel disgusted looking at Peter, so I took my eyes away from him.

"But for the fact that the school's just resuming, I would have punished you for coming this late to my class. Now find your way to your seat!" She commanded and Peter gave a small bow before moving to his seat.

Adam nudged me and I looked at him, tilting one brows skyward. "Your boo." He mouthed.

I snorted in a feigned chuckle and rolled my eyes as I faced the literature teacher in front of us.