Teen Years (Free Verse)

Be ready.

Your childhood is becoming more distant as adulthood begins to close in on you
Those years of carefree living are over
No more will you have the luxury of running aimlessly with your parents there to catch you the jiffy you slip.

Be smart.

Recess is long gone, replaced by study hall and short breaks
Those years of carefree learning are over
Your teachers expect more from you, your grades are beginning to actually matter, and there are colleges watching, waiting for the moment you show greatness to start chasing after you.

Be wise.

Your peers have turned from outside games and books to social media, drugs, and alcohol
Those years of carefree recreations are over
The stress of responsibility has plagued their minds, and they look for relief in all the wrong directions, but you stay above that level as to not ruin your life with fake cures.

Be strong.

Success is harder to achieve, and failure is at every corner
Those years of carefree winning are over
Rejection will knock you down more often, your grades may begin to falter, depression might cloud your head - but take heart, and realize that tomorrow is another day, and your rigors will never last forever.

Be there.

Your peers have turned their backs to the world, but are still facing you
Those years of carefree friendships are over
They depend on you to solve their problems, to show them the way, but fail to realize that you are only human - but that shouldn't stop you from laying a hand on their shoulder and reminding them that you're right there every step of the way.

Be prepared.

From the ashes of ice cream and cartoons rise bills and careers
The years of responsibility are now
Don't drop out of school, don't remain unemployed, don't ruin your body with harmful addictions; pray, plan, strive, set goals, never give up, and from the ashes of your bills and careers rise success and wealth.