ONE.

THREE years. that was how long. three years since she's last seen her. three years since she's last seen those magical, crystal eyes. three years since they said goodbye. three years since taylor handed her that letter.

it was a stormy, gloomy day. karlie just got back from her job at the local café down the street, ready to finally rest her feet after her ten hour shift. her parents always encouraged her to pursue something a little bit more "professional", but she loved the café. she worked alongside cara and josh, her two best friends. plus, it paid decently.

she had a degree in psychology from yale but it was hard looking for jobs that suited her. karlie was energetic, always on her feet and she regretted not choosing a major that would constantly challenge her. looking back on it now, she knew that she was in way too much student debt to go back for a different degree.

but if it was one thing she didn't regret about college, it was meeting her in one of her writing classes. karlie remembered that day well. she knew she sucked at writing and dreaded going to that particular class. not only had she heard that the professor was boring, but she only took it as a class to fill up her elective requirements. reflecting on it, she was glad she took the dumb writing class because if she hadn't, she knew she would've never met taylor. the moment she laid eyes on her wavy, golden locks and looked into her bright, ocean eyes, she knew that she had to make a move. after introducing herself and taking taylor out on a picnic at one of the nearby gardens, the rest was history.

taylor was majoring in journalism and had wanted to report for the new york times. a long shot, taylor claimed, but that didn't stop her from chasing her dreams. that was one of many things karlie loved about taylor: her determination. although taylor loved writing, karlie knew that she loved singing and songwriting the most. the blue eyed woman was a poet; always picking her words carefully.

"why don't you just go for music if you love it so much, babe?" karlie asked one day, playing with taylor's hair. god, she loved her girlfriend's hair, it always smelled like fresh strawberries and vanilla.

they were laying down on the couch, watching an episode of friends on the tv. taylor just shrugged, "i don't really know, to be honest. i don't think i'm that good, kar." she paused, chuckling, "i know you think i have a 'beautiful voice', but it was always that one thing you always wanted to be as a kid and just pushed aside to go for something more realistic... you know?"

"well, i think that your voice is angelic and if you ever have the opportunity to show off that special talent of yours, i'm going to make sure you chase after it," karlie exclaimed. taylor just laughed and hummed softly, taking karlie's hand in her own.

and, this is what led karlie to record taylor that one day. they were at taylor's flat. she was playing with her old, beat guitar, softly singing something under her breath. they'd been dating for a year now but it felt so much more than that; they were much like an old married couple: much preferring to make home cooked meals and watch movies as a date rather than going out.

taylor picked up a melody and pulled out her ratty, leather songwriting book. she flipped to a page that had scribbled lyrics all over it and started writing down some chords. karlie watched her meticulously, and a thought suddenly popped up in her head. she blurted, "can you pretty please play me a song, tay?"

taylor laughed, looking up from her journal, "sure. anything for you, lovely," but little did she know, karlie was secretly recording the song from underneath the table.

the blonde picked up her guitar, running her fingers over the engraved T.S in the wood and brought her hands onto the strings. "i call this one: how you get the girl," taylor announced as the soft melody of the guitar began to coat the room:

stand there like a ghost, shaking from the rain, rain.
she'll open up the door and 'say are you insane?',
say it's been a long six months,
and you were too afraid to tell her what you want.

and that's how it works, that's how you get the girl.

and then you say, i want you for worse of for better, i would wait for ever and ever.
broke you heart and put it back together
i would wait for you forever and ever.

and that's how it works, that's how you get the girl...

when she finished, taylor looked up from her guitar and grinned softly as karlie got up and pecked her girlfriend's lips softly, "baby, that was amazing!," she breathed.

taylor blushed, "thank you, kar."

later that night, back at her apartment, karlie uploaded the voice memo of taylor's song onto youtube and soundcloud, hoping that it would garner attention. i love taylor and i want her to pursue her dreams. her voice is beautiful, she deserves to be recognized, karlie thought. she twisted one of taylor's rings on her finger: a silver ring with the metal shaped like ivy, she adored taylor's taste in jewelry.

karlie looked on her phone for a bit, scrolling through instagram before she heard a ping!, looking up, she saw:

congrats! your video has been uploaded. go here to track this videos progress.

and right after, success! your song was uploaded on souncloud. karlie grinned and played the song, taylor's vocals blowing her away. she expected the song to become an instant hint. the younger girl couldn't wait to see what would happen with the song.

the following morning, she checked her phone right away to see how well taylor's song was doing. as she pressed on the youtube tracker, to her disappointment, ten views were on the video. on soundcloud, it was worse. a mere two plays. better than none, i guess, thought karlie. the slow progress continued for days, weeks, and months. soon, karlie and taylor's two year anniversary hit and 'how you get the girl' was long forgotten.

or so karlie thought.

//

1065 WORDS.
hi you guys!! whooo a debut kaylor story!! i hope you guys like this one :') im loving this storyline! context will be needed for these types of stories so i'm sorry if it's off to a slow start! but i think it'll pan out sjsk.

question of the story;
how do you think taylor will react to karlie uploading her song? why?

until next time,
kaela 🌷