Prologue

Stephan said he had a surprise for me. I was Joyous when he told me that. I didn't get to see him often, but he made time just to come see me on my birthday. This was a special birthday, too. I was turning nineteen, the year all fairies looked for mates. I walked up to him, and he smiled at me lovingly. "Hello love, are you ready for your surprise?" he asked softly, and I grinned at him. "I am, darling." I said happily. He led me to a canopied meadow, and I saw a blanket laid out, as well as several pillows. 

    "What's all this, darling?" I asked him, confused, as he pulled me down onto the blanket. "I wanted to show the way humans become one. " He said, and I looked at him happily. "I would love to be one with you." I told him. He grinned happily before he leaned over and kissed me sweetly. I kissed him back happily, having kissed him a few times already. He laid me down and hovered over me. He took his shirt off, and I blushed brightly, I've only seen him without a shirt once. He smirked at me before leaning down to kiss my neck. I tilted my neck to give him more access, trusting his knowledge about whatever he was doing. He gently sucked and nipped my neck and massaged my breasts. I grabbed his wrist, and he stopped what he was doing. He pulled back and looked at me in confusion.

  "Fairies call this mating, and we only mate once in our lives. Are you sure you want to be my mate?" I asked him firmly, and he smiled softly. "I'm more than sure, Malifacent. I love you more than you know." He said, and I nodded for him to continue. That was the first time we made love.

   Over the next three years, he would visit every chance he could, and most visits were spent making love. I found out on my twenty-third birthday that I was pregnant. I was over joyed with the news and wanted to tell Stephan, but he never showed up that day. So I waited and waited, and suddenly, I was two months pregnant before he showed up.

   "So, how's live with the humans?" I asked him bitterly. I was bitter towards humans at the moment. They kept way my mate, and the king tried to take over the Moors. I wasn't going to give it to them. "Malifacent, I've cone to warn you. The king, he means to kill you." He told me urgently, grasping my shoulders gently. I shook him off as I nodded, I knew that. He accepted my nod, and we spent the day as if it was a day of long past. I leaned against him, and he offered me some water. I took a drink, trusting him, before I handed it back to him. I was so tired all of a sudden. I didn't have the energy to tell him that I was pregnant. I fell asleep, never once expecting him to betray me.

   I awoke the next morning in pain. I quickly turned to look at my back. I gasped and started to cry. He took my wings. I trusted him, and he betrayed me. I screamed and sobbed at the loss of both my mate and wings.

   After a few hours, I pulled myself together and made my way to my parents' castle. I sat on an old window sill and just stared out of it. A crow flew in, but I didn't want company. "Shoo, shoo, go away." I said and sent some magic towards it to get it to go away. He flew off, but my gut twisted a little bit. I got the sudden urge to go after it. So I did. I found it, trapped in a net, with a farmer and his dogs around it. I watched for a moment before I turned him into a man. "Into a man." I said, and he immediately became human. "It's a wee demon." The farmer shouted and ran off. I smirked before walking out of the corn field and up to the bird. "What have you done to my beautiful self?" He asked angrily, and I raised my eyebrow at him.

   "Would you rather I let them beat you to death?" He looked at his ass. "I'm not certain." He said. "Oh quit, you're complaining. I saved your life." I told him, and he looked ashamed. "You're right, I'm sorry. I am forever in your debt." He said with a small bow. "What do I call you?" I asked. "My name is Diavial." He said, and I nodded. "What do you need of me?" he asked quietly, and I looked at him. "Wings." I said, and he looked me like I was crazy. "I need you to be my wings." I told him, and he nodded. I turned him back into a bird and walked off, and he followed me. I headed back to the Moors and put up a hundred foot wall of thorns. I quickly lay down and rest. I overworked myself, and I couldn't be doing that.

Nine months went by in a flash, and I gave birth to my beautiful daughter. She didn't cry like, "I thought she would." She just looked around and waved her little arms as she did so. She looked at me and gave me a toothless grin. "Hello, my beautiful Elizabeth. Welcome to the world. I shall protect you from harm." Diavial flew onto my shoulder and looked at my daughter. She suddenly looked at him and screamed excitedly. She spooked him, and he flew into a tree. She looked upset and cried. "Diavial, come back." I said firmly. He does as he is told, and she calmed down. I hmm'd and looked at Diavial. "You seem to be her destined mate. I tell you more when she's gone to sleep." I said, and he nodded.

I told him about the different mates a fairy could have. A mate chosen by the fairy, a destined mate chosen by magic, and a false mate. He asked what a false mate was, and I explained. "A false mate is what Stephan is. A chosen mate who loved a fairy but fell out of love, and then betrays said mate. It's a rare occurrence because fairies distrust humans." I told him, and he nodded.

Three years passed, and Diavial brought back some news. Stephan took my wings so he could become king once the old one was dead. I was furious, so I decided to pay him a visit.