CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

"Huh?" He scratched the nape of his neck, pinching the joint between his lips. "Did you just call me a pig?"

"Don't forget, shallow." I shake my head in exasperation. "Honestly, Josh. And here I thought you were one of the good ones."

"Can we rewind for a second?" He raised two hands. "Why are you mad at me?" Tall and slender returned, handing a medium-sized beverage to her friend. "I want her number."

"Oh, you disgust me," I muttered, storming around the car to the passenger seat. "Asshole." Tugging the seatbelt furiously, I aimed to buckle up, but it locked it in place. "Fuck it to Hell."

Josh collapsed behind the steering wheel. Blowing out a long, weary sigh, he leaned over me and gently threaded the belt through his hands; I kept an eye on his bandaged knuckles. "The car senses a collision because of the amount of force you used." It clicked. "See?" He relaxed in his seat. "Mind telling me the cause of that hormonal tantrum."

"Is size important to you?" I asked, and his eyebrows burrowed into a harsh scowl. "I mean, when did specific assets become a crucial selling point for the male population? It is immaterial whether a woman bears a resemblance to a screen goddess." Across the road, exiting the butchers, an overweight mother strolls along the path with a pushchair. "If she's unbecoming, tired, stressed and cares very little for her appearance because her children refuse to sleep at night, so she's exhausted, does it mean she's less attractive?" I traced my prominent collarbone with investigative fingers. "What of minimal curves if any? Some people can't lose weight no matter how hard they try while others suffer the opinions of critics for being distastefully underweight."

"Alexa." Josh slid an arm across my shoulders. "I have a predilection for blondes."

I frowned. "What?"

"I love women." He tucked a strand of dark hair behind my ear. "I'll take them in all shapes and sizes. Fuck, she could probably have a third nipple, and I'd still suck it."

"Josh," I chuckled, mirth surpassing low spirits.

"Hey, I wouldn't say no to the voluptuous redhead," he assured me. "I'd just make a pass on the blonde first, I guess."

Regret hindered me. "It had nothing to do with her size?"

"Fuck, no." He flung the joint out of the window. "Do you not remember Kat? She was a big mamma, and I fucked her until I passed out."

I briefly jogged my memory. "Oh, my god." A delighted smirk danced on my lips. "The Kinky customer for Club 11. I wonder why she never came back for round two."

His head to the headrest, Josh winced. "She kinda had no reason to." His hands covered his face. "I still go there sometimes."

"I thought her kinky dominance frightened you." My mouth circled, and I eyed him suspiciously. "You're a closeted fetish master."

"I am not," he barked, his cheeks a beautiful shade of pink. "Hang on. What does a fetish master entail?"

"Toe sucking?" I jerked a shoulder. "Whips and chains perhaps?"

His eyes darted to my feet. "Keep those gammy toes away from my mouth."

"Hey!" I slipped off my shoe to marvel at red-polished toenails. "They're not that bad."

"Call them what you will." He shifted forward to start the engine. "But I don't want any part of kissy-foot."

Josh steered out of the car park onto the main road. He managed to bypass three restaurants and four roundabouts before surrendering to a twenty-four-hour drive-thru. "I need to eat." He listened to the chipper female via the intercom. "Yes, can I order two portions of salt and pepper fries? The cold mayo chicken burger and a stack of onion rings. How much is the chargrilled wrap? And how many cheddar bites in the share box?" She told him the price. "Chuck them in. I'll give the steak burger a bash, too. And a large strawberry milkshake. Actually, put two of those steak burgers on my order." He slipped a debit card from his leather wallet. "Do you sell doughnuts?"