Christmas Eve

"Dad, I have to be ready to go in a few minutes. Do you think that this could wait until I get back? Esme says that she goes all out on Christmas Eve. It would be rude for me to show up late."

Charlie was fidgeting on the couch. "It won't take long, Bells. I just need to talk to you about something."

Now I was worried. Charlie looked like something was bothering him. Had he found out about Edward sneaking into my room a couple of nights ago? Surely not. He would have just gone ahead and killed him. I sat down and waited, suddenly extremely nervous.

He exhaled sharply. "Okay, here it goes, Bells. I've been watching you and Edward over the past two weeks. It seems that you two are more serious than I'd like you to be, but here it goes."

I jumped to my feet quickly, "Please, no. Please tell me you're not trying to have a sex talk with me, Charlie." I was so dumbstruck, I slipped and called him by his first name.

He kept looking at his hands. "I don't like it anymore than you do, but as your father, there are things that I need to talk to you about."

I paced away from him for a moment. This was just far too embarrassing. "Dad, Mom and I already had this talk. Will you just let it go, please?"

He looked tempted, "Bells, I know you don't want to talk about it, and you know I really don't want to hear about it. Just promise me that you're being safe."

I groaned, "Dad, I really wish you would let this drop." I ran my hands through my hair in aggravation. "Here's the deal, okay. Edward and I haven't done anything. He's been a perfect gentleman in our relationship."

Charlie snorted, "I bet he has."

I nearly growled at him. "I can't believe you are making me say this, but I'm still a virgin, Dad. And to be quite perfectly honest, I don't have any intention of changing that status any time soon. I could feel the heat from my face, though I didn't know if it was because of the embarrassment of the subject or simply the anger I felt at my father for bringing it up.

He looked satisfied and let me go long enough to finish my hair for dinner. I ran up to the bathroom and quickly began to pile the curls I'd spent hours making on top of my head. I gave myself a once over before heading to my room to put on my dress. It was a simple blue dress. Edward had once told me that he like it when I wore blue. I slipped on my shoes and walked downstairs to see Charlie answer the door. Edward looked amazing standing in my doorway. I leaned against the railing and watched him talk to my father.

After a few moments his eye flickered up to mine, and he went completely silent. Charlie turned around to look at me a well. They both stared at me for a few moments, inspiring a blush that I knew put many of my former blushes to shame.

Charlie spoke first. "Bells, you look beautiful."

I nodded and took the last few steps to the floor and looked up to Edward, who still hadn't spoken. I tried to read his face, but he seemed to have frozen in his place. "Edward?"

"You look perfect," he choked out. As soon as he'd recovered he walked to my side and respectfully kissed my cheek. "Forgive me," he whispered into my ear, "It's just not fair. Nobody should look so tempting."

I let out a sigh of relief as he pulled back to smile at me. I turned toward my father and kissed his cheek lightly before turning toward the door. "I'll be home in a little while, Dad. I expect you to be up in the morning and at the tree as always." I heard him chuckle in response. He was apparently happy with our earlier conversation because he was acting more relaxed. It could also have something to do with the fact that he was planning on spending the night with Sue since we did the Christmas morning thing by ourselves.