017 ─── darkside .

Start from the beginning

As if sensing the small kernel of doubt buried deep in my chest, Blye turned to glance over at me, not daring to say a word, but her gaze spoke volumes. I managed to keep my expression straight, nodding tersely, making Blye look back towards the pyramid.

While she focused on the supplies that she had no doubt had her eye on for days, I looked towards the group of Careers huddled under a tent, hiding from the blazing sun. The new boy was standing off to the side, watching awkwardly as Clove grinned ferally at Peeta, an animalistic pride glimmering in her eyes that made me uncomfortable. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who was uncomfortable, because Cato stood a few feet away with his arms crossed, his steel blue eyes glaring in Peeta's direction.

"I didn't say you couldn't. I'm just saying I'd feel better if I knew that I was out there with you."

I pulled in a sharp breath, ripping my eyes away in an attempt to banish the memory of Cato's eyes staring into mine, his gaze burned into my skin like a brand. I was here for a reason, and far be it for emotions to get in the way of me getting back to my sisters.

"Look over there," I heard the same voice say gruffly, and I glanced back up to see Cato jutting his head towards the tree line, making his allies follow his gaze. I glanced over to where they were looking, a knot in my chest untying when I saw a line of smoke trailing into the sky.

I glanced over to Blye, seeing the same relief in her eyes that I was feeling. Rue had managed to set the piles of greens aflame, effectively distracting the Careers for long enough so we would be able to destroy their supplies.

The smoke proved to be enough to bait the Careers, because Clove practically jumped to her feet, her lips pulled back in a vicious grin as she grabbed her knives, the silver metal glittering in the light of day. "Let's go!" Clove exclaimed, unable to contain her excitement at the prospect of a fresh kill.

Cato glanced back towards Peeta and the new boy, narrowing his eyes on the brunet. "You stay guard until we get back," Cato said, his voice low and threatening. The boy paled and nodded shakily, grasping his spear so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

Cato, Clove and Peeta started running towards the tree line, Cato clutching his large, titan sword like it was his lifeline. I watch them disappear into the green front, leaving the pyramid almost completely unguarded - not at all like we had planned.

I glanced back towards Blye, a soothing calm brushing over me when I saw that she looked completely unbothered by the unexpected presence. The plan would still work, even with the presence of the boy from the third District, but we would have to be more careful than I thought.

I watched out of the corner of my eye as Blye's muscles coiled like that of a tiger ready to pounce, her emerald eyes fixated on the pyramid of supplies, while the supposed 'guard' sat down on a lawn chair, turning his back to the pyramid in favour of gazing out at the tree line. His ignorance irked me, but it would ultimately help me, so I turned my head.

Without warning, Blye darted out into the field, running so quickly that she was but a blur of grey and red. The boy - unaware of what was happening - stayed with him back turned towards her, seemingly unconcerned.

Blye stopped in front of the reburied mines - a clever defense system put in place by the Careers, but not too clever for Blye. I could see her whisper something to herself before she lept onto one of the mounds of dirt, landing softly before jumping to another.

My gaze bounced between the boy from District 3 and Blye, my nerves set on edge as Blye snatched all that she could from the pyramid and tucked it all underneath her arms, wisely not taking more than she could handle. With a final backpack that she tossed over her shoulder, Blye turned on her heel and took the same path back, before running through the treeline and towards the rendezvous point.