006 ─── no one's favour .

lethal
006 ─── no one's favour .

lethal006  ───  no one's favour

" no one escapes that arena "

rowan's view

𝔗he second day of training seemed scarier than the first. There was more anticipation, more fear in my bones, especially after what happened the night before.

The second day of training meant the second day of pretending to be weak, of sitting around and going through the motions. And that was exactly what I did.

I crouched down by the fire making station, the soft light of the flames falling over my face as I watched Cato viciously slice off heads and arms of mannequins, same as the day before. After  last night, I couldn't help but observe him as much as I could. Cato's grunts filled the room, and while most of the tributes flinched every time they heard his growls, I was irked. How did he expect to win if he could be heard from a mile away? It was an intimidation factor, but I was not intimidated.

Marvel, the boy from 1, was throwing spears with almost perfect accuracy, hitting the target in its center every time, but from where I was crouched I could see that some of his throws were off. He had a torn muscle in his shoulder that made all of his spears go a little further to the left than intended.

Glimmer, the ostentatious girl from 1, was shooting at a target with a silver bow and thin, aerodynamic arrows. It didn't take a genius to perceive that she was terrible at shooting. She never once hit the center of the target.

Clove, the girl from 2, and Cato's counterpart, hit all of her targets with stunning accuracy and flawless skill, the iron blades glittering in her hands. I clenched my jaw as I realized that knives were her specialty, much like me.

I glanced down at the fire I had created with ease, the small twigs I had lit aflame bringing me back to the long winter months in 12, when I would camp out in the woods, waiting for something - anything - to pass by. I was snapped out of my reverie when I heard a loud, panicked grunt, and my eyes snapped up to see Peeta struggling to climb one of the nets.

I jumped up when Peeta flipped and fell to the ground, the sound of his back cracking against the mat making me flinch. I jogged over, bending down next to Peeta as he gripped his arm and growled in pain.

A few yards away, Glimmer, Marvel, Clove and Cato has gathered so they could snicker at Peeta's failure, Glimmer's lips curled up into a cruel smile. The only one who wasn't snarling and snickering was Cato, who stood adjacent to his allies, but was watching carefully, his arms crossed. A lot of the arrogance I had seen in him yesterday had evaporated, not that I cared. What I cared about was his patient expression, as if he was waiting in the calm before the storm. He was waiting for something to happen.

I turned back to Peeta, whose helpless and pained expression made a pang dance across my chest. I could still hear their laughter, following me even as I tried to shut them out. "You need to do something," was the first thing I said. I had no definite action in my mind, but I knew that the longer the Careers stood there, eyeing Peeta like he was their next meal, the larger the likelihood that he would be.