Chapter XV - My Darling Date (Part One)

Start from the beginning

As the time drifted away, we both eventually wore ourselves out and decided to give both of us a chance for a rest. Exiting the rink, I looked around the room in search for a clock, noticing one over the far right side resting high atop the wall; 7.48 PM. We decided it was getting a little late, and since this place closes in about ten minutes, we agreed to change our shoes back to what we had before and bid goodbye to the building. Walking out through the door, I assumed we were just going to head back home, but that was quickly pushed away when Cuphead grabbed my arm and tugged me the opposite way from home. Little did I know Cuphead had other plans...

Watching as the sky turned dark, the two of us walked around town, hand in hand, lost in various conversations with each other until we walked past a few cafés and restaurants, our nose's catching scent of the delicious smells and making us both realise we hadn't eaten much all day.

'Gee whiz, I'm famished.' Cuphead sighed, placing his free hand on his stomach. He looked over at me with a smile. 'What about you, dollface? You hungry?'

'Sure,' I exclaimed, giving him a slightly confused look. 'But, we don't have any more money, do we?'

'Oh I beg to differ.' He beamed, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a handful of coins. I looked at them with a curious smile.

'Where did you get all that?' I asked, looking back up at him.

'Elder Kettle!' He boasted, 'He insisted I spoil you as much as you want. And, who am I to argue with an old man?' My face blushed immensely, along with the warm fuzzy feeling coming back and spreading all over my body.

'I can't tell if he really said that, or if you're just putting words in his mouth...' I laughed, my free hand playing through my hair from the nerves. All he did was wink at me, giving me a cheeky smile along with it. This made my heart pound against the edge of my chest yet again. My goodness, why is this boy so cute?

'So, what are you hungry for?' He questioned, gently placing the coins back in his pocket. I looked around town, trying to find a place that looks cheap enough but might also have some good tasting food to go with it. As I glanced around, my eyes caught attention of a little café bar with bright lights inside and colourful pictures of icecream and cake around the top of it.

'How about we try that place?' I requested, pointing my finger across the street.

'Sure!' He replied. Still holding onto my hand, we cautiously crossed the road and walked to the other footpath, entering inside the small shop.

Upon entering, the delicious smell of pasties and cakes were wandering around through the air. There also seemed to be quite a few people inside, sitting down in various groups at the tables spread out all across the room. They all seemed to be having a good time, sipping their tea's or eating their tarts or pies. I took notice of the various items this store was selling and by golly did it look delicious. Snapping me out from my thoughts, Cuphead pulled me along the room to the front counter. To the left side of the counter table, there was a tall glass display of various pasties, sandwiches and soups. To the right, there was a selection of cakes and desserts. A little below the table was a variety of ice cream flavours and gelato's. And if you look up behind the counter, you'd see a giant blackboard that read all the items and condiments this place sells, the various flavours of a particular item, the cost, and what was in the food (such as a sandwich, soup, etc). Before I could even decide what I wanted, an elderly lady with short white curly hair stepped up to the front counter. She wore a white and purple striped jacket and over the top she wore a plain white apron. She also had on her a big friendly smile on her face.

'Hello you two, how may I help you?' She asked, looking at the both of us with a hint of curiosity in her eyes.

'Good afternoon, ma'am.' Cuphead replied, looking up at the board, 'I'll have a banana split with two scoops of neapolitan ice cream please!' As Cuphead ordered what he wanted, the lady took out a small notepad and pen and began to write it down.

'Alrighty! And what about you, dear?' She questioned, looking over at me with a curious smile, waiting patiently for my order.

'Uh, may I please have two scoops of hazelnut ice cream and one scoop of mint chocolate chip in a cup please?' I answered bashfully, watching as she wrote down the items on a small piece of paper.

'Oh, and one more thing...' Cuphead announced, instantly getting the waitresses attention. 'Could we have a large strawberry milkshake please?'

'Of course!' She beamed, continuing to write it down. 'Will this be for one or shared?'

'Shared please.' Cuphead boasted, giving me a slight glance over his shoulder with a cocky grin on his face.

'No worries.' The lady exclaimed. 'Why don't you both take a seat and we'll bring your order out soon!' As instructed, Cuphead and I looked around the room in search for a free small table that we could share. Once we both located one over near the corner, he took my hand and directed me over there, pulling out a chair for me and tucking it in carefully once I was sitting down. He then proceeded to walk around to the other side and pull out his chair, sitting directly opposite from me. Now that I was finally sitting down, it was only now that I noticed just how sore my legs were, feeling the blood throbbing inside my skin out of pain. I tried to ignore it and decided to glance around the room. I instantly took notice of all the bright colours around the place; the lights were a very pale white colour, the walls were painted blue and pink and there seemed to be a ton of black and white pictures of this place hanging up on the wall. I could also make out a very soft tune coming from behind the counter, meaning that someone had set up a radio back there and decided to turn it on for the world to hear.

Not even five minutes later, the same lady from before came rolling over to us with skates on her heels, holding a silver tray platter full of desserts that we ordered. Carefully, she placed them down in front of us, giving us our exact orders and placing the milkshake in the middle of the table.

'Enjoy!' Was all she said before turning around and rolling away happily.

Sitting in front of me was a little bowl full of ice cream with the exact flavours I desired. Sprinkled on top was a few pinches of little rainbow dots, all covered in a gooey layer of rich chocolate topping, oozing from every side of the ice cream. Looking over at Cuphead, he was too busy looking down at his food to even take notice of anything else around him. He seemed to be completely mesmerised by how delicious the dessert looked, but who could blame him, it looked amazing. Watching as Cuphead eventually grabbed a spoon, he dug into his food and began eating faster than a horse. Following in his footsteps, I grabbed my spoon and scooped up a serving of ice cream, before letting the spoon run past my lips as I tasted the flavours, feeling as the cold liquid began melting in my mouth. The taste was unbelievable, enough to make you zone out in a dairy haze. After a few good mouthfuls, Cuphead and I both reached for the drink, only to fail at picking it up due to unexpected laughter. Neither one of us wanted to wait for the other to finish, so we both looked at each other deep into our eyes, standing up a little and reaching our heads over the table. The drink contained two straws so we could both drink at the same time, so that's what we did. I couldn't help but smile while sipping from the straw, I was too caught up in Cuphead staring at me that I didn't even notice the flavour of the drink.

Once we both finished, we got up and pushed ourchairs in, watching silently as Cuphead placed a few coins down on the tablepaying for the food. He walked around the table, took my hand yet again andcontinued to lead us both outside, stepping back into the night when the townwas all still and silent. He then continued to lead us out of town, travellingthrough Isle Two and eventually back to Isle One. I was so exhausted from todaythat I just couldn't wait to get back to Elder Kettle's cottage and crash onthe couch or on Cuphead's bed. But right as I thought we were heading backhome, Cuphead pulled me away from the gravel pathway and decided to bring medown along a narrow walkway with dark bushy trees arching over the topof us. Now where is he taking me?