Sorting the pieces

Chapter 8

Theodore was a ball of nerves the whole day. From the moment he awoke this fluttering in his stomach, the shakiness in his limbs seemed ingrained in his bones. He felt scatterbrained and uncertain. As if the fate of the world depended on this meeting. For Theodore it did, the outcome of this meeting would dictate his future with Rowan.

Embarrassment was far from his mind during his morning changing, the food's taste seemed dull compared to the day before. After five meager bites, Theodore could no longer stomach it, his tummy rebelling at his food. Fidgeting with the sleeves of his sweater, his eyes flitted around the room with no focus in mind. Finally Rowan sighed and Theodore was sure he'd upset the man at his behavior. But the big male simply put their plates aside and scooped Theodore up in a warm embrace.

"Let's just relax for a bit, buddy." Rowan walked around the room, bouncing Theodore slowly. The closeness and warmth of the wolf's body ever so slowly calmed Theodore. They wandered through the house, Theodore clutching Rowan's shirt in his fists, head tucked underneath the man's chin. Theodore focused on his voice, letting his own breathing slow. Rooms blurred into a hazy cloud, and he was lulled into a state of half dreaming, half wakefulness. He grew calmer, relishing in the contact while he had the chance.

Rowan seemed to sense Theodore's need for closeness that day, holding him and speaking in soft words. Keeping his mind occupied as much he could. Once he even tried suggesting they postpone the meeting, only to hurriedly take it back as Theodore's panic set in, thinking he'd upset the male. So the day bore on, slowly. Gradually the two found a balance, where Theodore's nerves ceased their constant high with a mixture between cuddles and games and Rowan's soothing storytelling.

The stormy weather seemed to finally settle. A weak sun peeking through the clouds now and again, the cold made the air outside crisp and fresh. Rowan brought Theodore outside, taking a walk through the neighborhood. For almost an hour they strolled the quiet streets. Theodore took in the red leaves on rustling trees and beautiful houses, shiny cars passing lazily by and the tweeting of birds flying in formations.

As they once again neared Rowan's house on their way back, Theodore's eyes got impossibly large as a creature appeared on top of a garden fence. It sat balanced on the thin fence, perfectly calm, regarding them with what could only be described as bored superiority. It's dark amber eyes seemingly looking down at them despite its lower standing, its black tail swished gently behind it. As if waiting for them to bow.

"That's Mrs. Hazelwood's cat, Sebastian. He doesn't like many people." Rowan's voice chuckled in his ear. "Someday soon we can pay a visit. I'm sure she has some of her famous pumpkin cookies for you to taste." Theodore wondered what food this pumpkin cookies was, it didn't sound like anything Rowan had given him before. Definitely nothing he'd gotten from Murick. The food he'd gotten all those years at the orphanage was comprised of stale bread and tasteless mush. It was surprising to Theodore how little he'd ever tasted, how many different foods existed outside that rundown building.

"But for now, let's get inside, it's getting chilly." He said, just as a cold wind snuck its way past the collars of their winter coats. Red and yellow leaves tumbled in a chaotically graceful dance across the lawn and onto the road. The skies were covered in clouds, but the air was dry and cold.

Crossing the street and up the driveway, Rowan unlocked the door and set Theodore down on the little stool just past the entry. Shrugging off his coat before helping Theodore out of his own coat and shoes. The man Theodore into the kitchen, placing him into his chair. Rowan rummaged in the fridge. "What would you like for lunch, darling?" He turned with a smile, holding out possible ingredients for approval.