Idea

Psyched to see V again, I knock on the door for a quick second before reaching for the doorknob. The knocking was just courtesy— his door was always open anyways, so I lost interest in keeping my manners straight after a while.

But the doorknob doesn't twist.

It's locked? But V never locks his door.

Blowing out a breath of disappointment, I start to knock on the door again when the door swings open with a quiet click. It reveals V, everything the exact same except something seems like it's missing.

"Why are you here? Leave me alone."

His eyes are bloodshot and ringed with exhaustion, like he'd stayed up the entire night and hadn't gotten a single blink of sleep. The cold words take me aback for a second before I bounce on my feet, putting it away as another one of his annoyed-because-I-woke-him habits.

"I came to—"

"I thought I told you to leave me alone."

The bounce in my body hits the ground headfirst, and my smile goes down with it as well. What was up with him all of a sudden? Was he sick? Or in pain? Was it something like that?

"Are you okay—"

"Leave." He mutters, about to shut the door in my face when I wedge my foot in there. Something is definitely wrong with him— and speaking from personal experience, leaving someone alone during an attack like this was absolutely the worst.

"No."

His face twists with frustration as he stares daggers at my foot against his doorway. If it was up to him, he could totally snap my ankle off by just closing the door with sheer strength. But he's not doing that, so I look up to him again.

"V—"

"I'm sick of you."

What?

I can hear my heart crash a million miles away from me, the shattering noise as clear as glass. My body goes slack with shock as my gaze goes wide. He didn't just say that, did he? He didn't just say—

"Didn't you hear me? I'm sick of you, Tzuyu. Your eyes creep the hell out of me. Your tears— they're just not normal."

My eyes sting, and I force myself to swallow the disgusting tears down. But the lump in my throat is still there as I whisper softly.

"I thought you said they were beautiful."

Something crosses his face before it disappears in a flash, only leaving the icy remnants of the caring person I once knew behind.

"I was wrong."

With those words, I spin on my heel and flee back to my apartment. The tears I forced back comes pouring out the minute his expressionless face is out of my sight. Thick, red tears slide down my cheeks, the one he hates so much.

I don't even bother to grab a towel on the way to my bedroom.

So it was all a pretend?

Of course it was. Why would anyone ever love you? Why would anyone ever choose to stay with a monster?

They always left. In the end, I had nobody to lean on but myself.

But how was I supposed to carry my weight when I broke so easily? I gave my heart without holding back, and now I was paying the price for my mistake.

His words echo in my mind like a radio set on repeat, and for a second I wonder if he'll take me back after I claw my own eyes out. Without eyes, you couldn't cry. Without eyes, everything would be so much better.

What are you doing, Chou Tzuyu?

I can't live without him. I can't, I can't, I can't. I'd die first than to stay alive to suffer the consequences of my ruthless actions. I'd die first than to live a nightmare for the rest of my life.

Why did I have to meet him?

He'd become my obsession. My heart. My voice. My love. My life.

Mine, mine, mine.

Stupid— Snap out of it, I tell myself. It's never going to happen. From the start, it was just never meant to be. Not when he was so perfect, so beautiful in the silver light of the moon. Not when I was such a monster, so imperfect, so vulnerable.

Not when everything was bound to go wrong from the very beginning I stepped into the wrong house.

Had a gun pointed to my head.

Had saved V from his menace of a father.

Had given him my brace.

Had loved him since then, and for every single second.

Then a sudden flash of hope streaks through my frozen thoughts, stopping the heavy flow of tears from my crimson-painted eyes.

His mother. He loved her so much, loved her with a true love that he'd never give me for a single damn moment.

I could save her from her husband, at least. Tell her to come live with me, right next to her son. They'd be reunited together, and maybe who knew? Things could get better. Maybe he'd treat me as a friend for saving his dear mother, and that would be enough for me.

No.

What am I saying?

It wouldn't ever be enough, but it was an infinity times better than having doors shut in my face for the rest of my life. It would be so much better than not being able to see him on a daily basis— spending days, weeks, months, years without ever talking to him again.

Even the very thought makes a chill explode up my spine.

No. It would be so much better this way.