Chapter 9 - Betrayal

Start from the beginning

"Fun?  What do you mean we had fu-" She pauses as it sets in, her face immediately went red as she hurriedly hid her face with her hands.  Drift leans over and whispers something inaudible to me in her ear.  She then lightly punches his arm and turns her head away from us, resting it on her hand.

"Hey, it's ok.  It wasn't what really kept me up last night."

"What did then?" Brite mumbles, still facing the opposite direction

I hesitate, do I really want to tell her my dream about Dark?  Will that cause her to worry?  Will it bring Dark back?

"It was just a... nightmare that's all.  Nothing to worry about."  I had to lie, I can't worry them now.

"Oh, ok." We continue to eat in silence for a moment, but it wasn't long before a normal conversation started up again.  We finished breakfast and cleaned up.  We changed into our normal attire and walk out of the apartment to meet up with Rex and Cuddles.  We arrive at their apartment and knock on their door.  The two greeted us at the door and we left to head to the kart outside.  We reach the lobby of the building and head to the garage to take our kart.

"Where are we going to anyway?" Rex questioned

"We're going to look for answers.  The hero mansion is our best bet at the moment." Drift responded

"Wait.  Hero mansion?" I asked perplexed.

"Oh, yeah, the mansion beside Lonely Lodge.  It's the home and base of operations for the hero team of this island.  Some say they were "sent from the gods" to protects us on the island, but most people know they were genetically modified people made by the government to give them powers." Drift shoots back coldly.  There was something in his voice that was... off.  I couldn't tell, nor understand what it was, but it didn't seem like he had a good impression of them.

We all file into the kart one by one, Drift drove with Brite at his side, and Rex, Cuddles, and I squeezed into the back.  Drift looks back to see us struggling to fit and chuckles.

"Sorry for the tight fit.  This kart wasn't made for more than 4 people."

He starts the engine and begins the long trip across the island.  We ride mostly in silence, everybody gazing into the distance in thought.  I take the time to admire my surroundings.  We pass by a nice blue lake, with a large island in the middle with a grey house on top.  A few boats were sporadically spread in the water, and on the edge sat 2 large factory-like buildings.  We continue along, passing a huge crater in the land, this one I couldn't keep quiet about due to its massive size. (God that sounds wrong)

"What the hell happened over there?" My mouth was stuck open in awe

Cuddles turned her head in my direction

"Oh, that?  That is a spot where the meteor hit a few months ago.  It destroyed half of Dusty, some factories, and tore up a ton of land.  Luckily, nobody was hurt in the impact, but it brought some alien being.  They were responsible for the rocket launch not too long ago which caused the rift in the sky and inevitably brought Drift into our lives.  Which he later brought you too."

"It also brought the heroes and the villains to the island, which has basically been an ongoing war ever since." Rex interrupted

The mention of the heroes sent a shiver down Drift spine.  Why was he acting like this?

We continue our trip, passing Dusty Diner, which just recently opened to the public.  This turned Dusty and the divot more into a tourist attraction, but looked appealing from the outside.  We drive through a small forest in a valley next to Retail, a series of homes and shopping destinations for those not directly in, or close to Tilted or Paradise.  Beside the road, we pass a trailer park, and we see some activity going on with people chatting, some playing basketball, etc.  We finally arrive at our destination, Drift pulls by the front security check-in.