Chapter 26 - New Hope

(Calamity's POV)

"They found us," Drift murmured, standing frozen in place

I flash a look at him, to no response, and notice (Y/N)'s grip tighten around me.  I whip my head around, looking for some sort of answer, but am met with a similar reaction with Drift.  His face went blank, eyes wide, distress radiating off his quickening breath.

Flapjackie turned towards the front door, just coming back from checking on a patient towards the back of the house.  She missed the reaction of Drift and (Y/N), which left her oblivious.

"Huh, it's odd to see people this early," She muttered

She slowly approached the door, thinking little of the 3 alarming figures outside.  (Y/N) remained quiet, still evaluating the situation.  Drift, however, snapped out of his blank state to try and react in time.

"Flapjackie DON'T open that door, we have to leave right now," He warned, panic evident in his broken voice.

His warning came too late

Flapjackie opened the front door slightly, greeting the figures at the front door.  Drift did not take kindly to their apparent friendliness, pulling out a hidden suppressed pistol from his hidden pocket.

"Hi, are you guys in need of any assistance?  Are you guys lost, hungry, anything?" Flapjackie cooned, still oblivious to the tension.

"No, no we're quite alright," The crimson-haired female insisted

"Oh, well, is there something-"

"Can we just... talk inside?" The female scanned the area, an unsettling expression crawling on her face

"Do not let them in Flapjackie!" Drift warned finger on the trigger, ready to fire.

At this point, I've been in the dark to why we were so hesitant, and I needed answers immediately.

"What the hell is going on?  What's wrong with the people outside?" I demand, but ultimately Drift ignored my interrogation as his attention remained at the front door.

(Y/N), however, gave me the recap

"Those guys outside work for Carbide's team.  They were known as the hero squad on the island, ever since Omega, Ragnarok, and the Visitor tried to destroy the island," He whispered

"So why are we so hesitant with them?"

(Y/N) paused, looking up at the panicked Drift, but then continued on

"Well... a few days after I had arrived we decided to report the cube to them in case they didn't already know about it.  This was the day after we got Brite back from being Dark, but that was our mistake.  Carbide led us down to the base underneath their mansion next to Lonely Lodge, and essentially into a trap.  It turns out that Carbide teamed up with the villains after their first battle, and now were part of their plan of darkness,"

"What did they do to you guys?" I interrupt

"It's not what they did to us," (Y/N) starts, but stops to look at Drift.  His head was turned towards us now, fully aware of our conversation.  Pain reflected in his eyes, the haunting memory of their mistake radiating

"It's what they did to her," (Y/N) finishes

Drift nods subtly but turns away to try and hide his expression of guilt.

"So they're the reason why Brite turned evil then?"

"Essentially yes, and those 3 people out there are part of his team, and therefore working for Dark and the villains.  They want our heads, why?  We don't know, but them finding us can't be good news," He concluded