4. Fragments

Ariana

"Only chaos can stop a witch's ascension. Opening the gates of a witch's hell will bring about chaos. Remember this, Ariana. It might come in handy in the future."

It was strange that I remembered this conversation over all of the other conversations I've had with my mother. She never kept secrets from us. No matter how bad it was, she always shared it with us. I knew how my future would play out. She showed me. I had accepted that my time on this planet would be short. I was prepared for it, but I was also sad. I was sad because I wouldn't get the chance to know my mate. Every witch from the original witch family knows what it means to find your mate. However, I will never have the chance to experience this because I had been cursed to choose between my family and my mate and there was only one true choice that could be made.

Ariana?

Mom?

Ariana? Sweetie, it's time.

Mom, what's wrong?

Wake up honey. Wake up! Only you can stop this.

Stop what?

Only chaos can stop a witch's ascension. Ariana, wake up! Wake up and do what you're destined to do! Open the gates of the underworld! Fulfill your destiny!

My eyes flew open and I took in a huge gulp of air into my lungs. My mother's voice echoed against the walls in my brain. I needed to save her. I could feel her fear, her pain , her sadness and the minute she gave up hope.

No! I need to save her. This isn't what she wants.

Only chaos can stop a witch's ascension.

It was time. I had to do what I was born to do. Even if I died, this was my destiny. I had to fulfill it. I disappeared from the palace and found myself standing at the most powerful spot on planet Atron. It is said that the source of the planet's power came from here. Even when the planet fell over 2000 years ago, this spot remained alive, active. It is here that I will destroy. It is here that I will use to unleash chaos and end my mother's suffering. It is here that I will die.

I planted my feet firmly on the ground, held my hands out with my palms facing down and started chanting. I knew the spell. I don't know how or when I learned it, but I knew it.

The earth trembled under my feet and my palms vibrated with the energy that radiated through it. The creatures of the underworld were ready to be free. I could feel them.

His voice floated to me on the wind and a tear slipped down my cheek.

"You don't have to do this."

Kian...

"You can't leave before giving us a chance."

I'm sorry.

"I haven't even kissed you yet."

I know...

"You haven't even lived."

I'm not supposed to.

I blocked my mind from my mate and focused on doing what I was born to do.
I chanted over and over until the earth started to separate beneath my feet. I was getting closer and closer to the apex.

"Ariana stop! What are you doing?"

I didn't want to fight my brother but I will if I have to. He will not stop me. I put up a block around myself and let my tiger loose on the other side. He would protect me while I finished the job.