Chapter 5

The next day I decided to make something and bring it over to Evan, see if he is any better. I wrap up the food in tin foil and head over to his house. It's a good distance away, but I eventually found it and made my way to the door. I hold the dish awkwardly as I ring the door bell, I wait to hear movement. Evan opens the door looking very tired.

"Morning!" I say cheerily "Can I come in?" I ask. He open the door further to allow me to pass. His foyer is very large, high ceilings and light hardwood floors, white pillars separate the living room. I stand just inside and wait for him to say something.

"So...how big of a ass was I?" He scratches the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Not an ass, so much as you almost beat Isaac to a pulp in front of our son." I clarify.

"I'm sorry! I just got ahold of a really strong bottle of stuff and after that everything was kind of a blur." He explains, we make our way to the kitchen so I can put the dish in the fridge. When I open it, it's bare aside from a half gallon of very expired milk and assorted condiments.

"Evan! Do you not know how to grocery shop?" I asked concerned. He should be eating correctly, what if I decide to let Hunter spend the night and Evan has no food.

"I grocery shop...just not recently." He defends.

"Get dressed, we are going shopping. I'm not leaving this fridge bare." I demand. He wonders off down the hall to I'm assuming his bedroom. He emerges a few minutes later dressed with keys in his hand.

----------------------------------------------

"Grab a cart." I point to the row of carts to our left. He grabs one and follows me down the isles. I throw stuff in his cart that I know he likes and will need.

"Can I get Doritos?" He asks grabbing them off the shelf.

"Fine! But don't get a lot of junk food. It's bad for you!" I warn.

"Yes MOM!" He jokes placing the bag in the cart.

"Ok, now we need to get you some meats for your freezer. No TV dinners for you, they have a ridiculous amount of sodium in them." I say.

"I have actually cooked before. I am quite good at it." He reminds.

"I know! But from what I saw you haven't had a home cooked meal in a while." I say picking out a pack of ground beef and placing it in the cart. It felt oddly comfortable, shopping with Evan. Like something a couple or roommates would do. And since we were neither of those I couldn't explain why I felt so happy shopping with him, doing something as minuscule as this makes me feel closer to him.

"What are you thinking about?" he asks. I hadn't even realized I was spacing out.

"Nothing." I lie, cheeks growing hot.

"Come ooon! Tell me!" He whines trying to hop on the cart.

"I was just thinking, thats all! I'm fine!" I say pushing the cart toward the checkout.

"Please! I've known you since we were teens, I think I know you better than that!" He points out. He was right.

"Fine, It's nothing bad. It's just, I like how it feels shopping with you. That's all." I say pushing the cart up to the checkout. The women greeted us and began to ring up our Items.

"Oh! That's it? You threw a fit over that?" He gave me a look.

"Yes! Sorry if I'm being difficult. It's just, I don't know how to act after your whole confession the other night, or your drunken incident yesterday. I feel like it should be awkward but it's not." I say bagging some of the items.

"And that's a bad thing?" He checks.

"I don;t know!" I shout, a few people give us looks. I huff and turn around, Evan pays for the groceries and we head back to his house in silence. We unpack the groceries and I start putting things away. I make a note of stuff that I can make for him so he can have a few homemade meals after I leave.

"So are we not going to talk about this?" Evan asks.

"Talk about what?" I ask.

"Your little grocery store meltdown." He says.

"It wasn't a meltdown, it's just I don't know how to handle this. I know things were left kind of weird when I left for Rio but, I have Isaac and you have Hannah. It's just to weird I feel like there is..." I didn't know how to word it. 

"Unfinished business?" He tried.

"Yes! But there isn't anything we can do, and I feel horrible for even feeling these things. I mean, I like Isaac. He's good to Hunter, and to me. There is literally nothing wrong with him. It's just he doesn't...." I couldn't finish. I felt like such a horrible person for even telling him this.

"He doesn't make you feel like I do." Evan walked up to my, caging me in, I leaned further on to the counter. His dark eyes staring down at me, I breathe in his familiar scent and relax. I snake my arms around his neck and hug him. I just want to melt into this feeling but I can't. So I break away and straighten myself up.

"We need to set some boundaries." I say.

"Really we need boundaries? We are grown adults we have a kid, I'd say boundaries are no good for us." He joked. A smile playing on his lips.

"Evan, I am serious. I'm not sure how I feel just yet. I want to still be friends with you, but it's really hard with all the history. I mean, you were my first everything. It's hard to lose feeling for someone like that. But Isaac is my first guy since you. He makes me forget the pain, he makes me feel..." Safe. I didn't say the last word because I could see how much pain my words were causing Evan, it looked like I was gutting him.

"Look, I'm not saying that what I did was justified, but it's been over 4 years. I'd say it's time to move on. I'm not that same selfish teenager I was. I've grown up. I want to be apart of Hunters life and i'm grateful you're letting me do that. But I want us to be able to get along. And yes, I still have feelings for you. But for your sake and Hunters. I will follow these 'Boundaries' " He air quoted. And that was it. It was all out in the air. A heavy silence fell, I know I should feel relieved.

So why do I still feel this way.