California

It's been 23.5 hours of walking.

Penny has been asleep in my wagon for the night. But I just didn't want to stop. We had all been awake for a day. We don't want to stop. We don't want to think about the people we've killed before we drift into subconscious mess.

We just want to feel the gravel beneath our shoes and the sun against our backs.

We passed Vegas some time ago. In the distance. We didn't want to go there.

We were going to kens house. Not much chance of him being there but we might as well try.

"Fi-fuckin-ly," cry said and woke me up a little bit. I'm used to being up for 72 hours straight. To scared to sleep. Walking is tiring in itself though so 23.5 hours is a good effort.

He lead us to the car. It still had a zombie struggling.

Reflexively I shot him and Charlie pulled him out of the car.

We sat in the car. I drove. We put all the stuff in the boot and Sally had penny's head in her lap in the back seat beside Tuesday. Charlie rode shotgun.

Sally stared vacantly and Tuesday shut her eyes.

Charlie looked stricken.

I touched his arm and he flinched.

"Sleep," I said.

He just continued to stare.

We drove through the streets of Cali.

I finally reached the beach at 27 hours.

I stripped down first. They all shut their eyes. I washed all the blood and grime off me before redressing. The others followed the process one by one.

We all smelt of salt and our clothes stuck to us as we sat in the car in the hot sun. Far enough down the beach to be sufficiently away from many zombies. A few wandered in the distance. Looking for food.

We just sat in silence.

"How far?" Charlie asked. My sluggish mind didn't realise what he was asking.

"What?" I slurred.

"How far to his house!?" Charlie snapped. "Sorry, tired," he apologised. I just nodded.

"About an hour," I replied. "We can't sleep here," I observed.

The sound of the engine and the air conditioning was attracting them.

I should be conserving petrol but it's so damn hot not to have it on.

"Too many," Sally agreed.

I nodded and drove forward. They followed us but I wasn't capable of many feelings at the moment. So drained. We lost them anyway and pulled up outside the white house.

It brought back painful memories and happy memories of staying here with Ken and Marzia.

"This is?" Cry asked from the back seat.

"Yeah," I got out of the car, leaving it running. Only able to focus on one thing at a time. My steps took lots of effort as I shoved the gate in. No barking from his dog. My dogs. Edgar and Maya. The tears streamed down my face. I had left them to die.

Our children. I had left the last thing I had of her to die.

I weakly knocked on the white door before pressing my back to it and sinking to the ground. Head on my knees. The tears flowing freely. The sobs permeating the still air.

I left my dogs. I left Marzia. I left Tayla. I left home. I left Charlie that time. I left the base. I let them fall. I dragged them here.

All I have is the people in to he car. And I guess, even if they are just there, I left them too.

The door opened behind me.