Chapter 12: The Student and the Teacher

Author's Note:

Here we are with another chapter of Bonnie's adventure! Just a little heads up for all of you who read Lumiose University along with this, I have decided that for the most part this story will get two updates for every one of LU's. There's just a lot more to get to with this one, and honestly, I'm enjoying it a little more. Not to worry, though, as both are getting worked on, and LU is next.

Other than that, though, we have the next chapter of this to get to, and Bonnie is finally in Rustboro City! Hope you enjoy.

Chapter 12: The Student and the Teacher

Seeing Rustboro City ahead of her made Bonnie feel as though she was in a dream. Her whole body felt light, as though she wasn't even really standing there, and she was floating over top of the ground. And as she held up her hand to touch the sign at the entrance to the city, it shook with her excitement. She could barely feel the wood of the sign under her fingers, but still, she knew that she was finally here. She knew that one of the most important stages of her journey was about to begin.

"Excited?" Clyde finally whispered, after they stood there a moment, taking in the sight of the city ahead. "Pretty big step, huh?"

Bonnie nodded, not sure exactly what to say. Eventually, though, she looked to Dedenne, who looked how she felt, standing on her shoulder and looking towards the city. "This is it, Dedenne," the young trainer whispered. "We're in the city where we're going to win our first gym badge!"

"Ne nene," Dedenne whispered back, eyes shining. Bonnie knew he was imagining battling like his idol, Pikachu, darting around the battlefield and unleashing powerful electrical attacks. She couldn't wait to see him in action, and guide him through it.

Bonnie finally took her hand off of the sign and then she reached into her pocket and pulled out the badge case that Korrina had given her. She remembered imagining putting the first badge in there when she'd gotten it, and promising Korrina she'd one day put the Shalour City gym badge in there. It would be awhile, but she looked forward to that day. But this was the first one, and she couldn't be more excited about finally getting a chance to use Korrina's gift.

"Let's rumble!" she announced, feeling like Ash with her now standard battle call. She led the way into the city, Rotom floating down next to her as they entered.

"Zzt, Bonnie," he said as she paused, looking at a map that was near the front, while people busily walked past, this city clearly the biggest of the ones they'd been in so far. "It would be a good idea to refresh your Pokemon at the Pokemon Centre before going to the Rustboro City Gym," the PokeDex advised. "Berries can only do so much."

Bonnie nodded, appreciating the suggestion as she glanced at Dedenne, who also looked like he agreed. The berries they'd gotten from Natalie and the others would be useful on the road, but they definitely needed to give their Pokemon a chance to get recharged at the Pokemon Centre. Besides, maybe she'd be able to give Clemont and her dad a quick call to let him know she was about to have her first gym battle. She quickly looked for the Pokemon Centre on her map and called for her friends to follow as she led the way, passing by what appeared to be a group of school students heading down the street.

Rustboro City certainly appeared to be an interesting city with lots to do, and Bonnie was excited to get a chance to see some of it later on. It wasn't quite like Lumiose City, as it was definitely smaller, but according to Clyde, it was quite an important business location as Devon Corporation had its headquarters there. Adding a gym to that definitely made it quite an important place in Bonnie's eyes.

When they finally found their way around and reached the Pokemon Centre, Bonnie ran ahead with Dedenne, wanting to get her Pokemon taken care of as soon as possible so that they could check out the gym. However, when she entered the lobby, she nearly ran into someone, barely skidding to a halt in time to prevent a collision. She winced, expecting someone to scold her for not being careful, but then blinked in surprise when the person in front of her said her name.