Chapter 9

☝️☝️That's our Cassandra

**********

'ZAID!', I saw her drowning in the tub calling for help.

'Zasha', I tried to pull her out but something kept her restrained.

'ZAID!', she called again with teary eyes.

'Come on Zasha you can do it.'
She latched onto my hand looking at me with pleading eyes.
She needed help.

I tried to pull her out but that tub gave away and vanished into darkness with her screams.

What the hell...!!

I rubbed a hand on my face only to feel sweat.

What was that?

I cried myself to sleep after leaving his cursing self in the office.

I sighed and sat up.

My phone rang and I jumped at the sudden sound in pure silence.

Zaid calling

Huh?

'I have to go.', he said hurriedly while I heard roar of a huge crowded place in the background.

Why wha..

'Just take care of the office work and postpone all the meetings. We'll re-schedule afterwards.', he sounded busy and that's when I heard the static announcement of the airport.

Only few hours ago he was cursing at me and now he's flying away.

'Why what happened?', I asked before he could kill the line.

And there was silence, just the mix cacaphony of airport.

'Zasha.. She's in coma. I've to go.'

With that said, the line dropped and I gaped at the plain wall in front of my bed.

Ohh My God.
Let her be safe.

I sent a silent prayer and stood up to shower. My face felt sticky due to all those tears. I looked at the horrendous sight in the mirror and sighed.

Religion

I never thought of it that way.

Though I wasn't much religious but still I was Jewish. And that kept him at bay. He was a Muslim and couldn't marry a Jew.

Sighing for the hundreth time in the same day, I slipped into my baggy tshirt and jumped back in the bed, ditching the dinner again.

But still
It was just this religion that kept us apart. Other than that I knew he cared.
Amidst all the doomed thoughts, sleep invaded my empty vessel.

************
I woke up to that horrific dream again.
I hope she's okay.

I found my phone on the nightstand and dialled for Zaid.

He didn't pick up.

I huffed at his stupid ego and got out of the bed.
I got ready for the office sluggishly and reached their only to find an empty office.

I made few calls to postpone the meeting of this week and drowned myself in work.

'Hey!'
I saw Javier leaning in the doorway giving me one of his dashing smiles.
I sighed.
Why can't I like him?
Someone simple.

I smiled.

'Hi!', I said.

'Boss isn't around.', he said while gesturing towards the locked door and I imagined him, locking the door and then jerking it afterward that did nothing but led few strands falling over his forehead, nudging his chocolatey orbs.
And how much I wanted to remove those hair and finger-comb them back in their place.