Chapter Two

My oldest brother, Malcolm, was the first to welcome me home. He was the reason that my name started with an M, I guess you could say. He enveloped me in a large hug, and I breathed in his familiar scent. His light cologne drowned out some of the horse crap, cow crap, and any animal's crap that I was smelling.

            My dad got my suitcase from Luke and spoke, "Thank ya for pickin' her up, Luke."

            Luke nodded. "My pleasure. It was great to meet you, McKenlie." He waved then smiled. I returned the gesture as he began to walk the way to one of the houses here for the ranch hands.

            My Mom then spoke up, "Are you not joining us for dinner tonight, Luke?"

            He shook his head then called, "No, ma'am. I'm sorry, but I'm just really tired."

            My parents both nodded their heads then returned to greeting me. I hugged both of my other brothers: Dustin, who was 24, and Walker, who was Luke's age, 20. I was definitely the closest to Walker out of my three brothers. It was really only because we were so close in age. We always played together when we were younger because our interests were usually during the same time periods. It was safe to say that I was a little bit of a tomboy.

            My dad gave me a quick hug and kissed the top of my head then brought my large suitcase inside the house. My mom was the last person that greeted me. She hugged me tightly, and I breathed in her familiar scent. She always smelt like flowers. I could never figure out if it was because she always worked in her gardens or if she had a specific perfume that was flower scented.

            "Mmm, baby," my mom spoke keeping her arm around her shoulder, "we're gonna have to cut that hair tomorrow. It has gotten too long for the summer! You're gonna be sweatin' up a storm come tomorrow mornin'."

            "Maybe," I coyly responded knowing that I didn't want to cut my hair. She always cut it too short, and I preferred my long brown hair to be long because then I didn't have to do anything to it. I could put it in a ponytail and be done with it.

            Dustin chuckled. "Momma, leave our little Kenlie alone. She's too cool for us now. She's already 17, ya' know," he teased.

            I glared at him. "I'm literally 18 in a week."

            "Literally?" he asked smiling. "Did they teach ya that word out there in Dallas?"

            I scoffed and walked up the steps and into the front door. I could hear my mom scolding Dustin for being rude. I loved being the baby in the family because I was always treated so great, but I also hated it. They had something to hold over me. But then again, I could make fun of them for all being old.

            Once I opened the screen door, I was met with the strong aroma of my mother's cooking. My stomach was churning just at the smell. I hadn't eaten all day, but I didn't really know I was this hungry. Malcolm had taken my bag from my dad and put it in my room. I followed him into my room which was pretty much the same. I had light purple walls with a black and white bedspread. It was a pretty normal teenaged girl's room, but I was getting tired of it. I had it for too long.