30

Selby and Malcolm were in Selby's car.  They were on their way and Malcolm kept staring out the window while Selby drove. 

"I just don't think it matters," said Malcolm, "you know?" 

Selby absently nodded in agreement; a frown pinched his brow.  He glanced at Malcolm and quickly back to the road. 

Malcolm rustled through his pockets, searching for a packet of chewing gum, "I think there are some things that, if you've never really celebrated, then you don't miss them and it doesn't matter."  Malcolm lent back into his seat and squirmed.  Selby slowed down as they approached the 30 zone.  He always obeyed the speed limits.  Malcolm offered Selby a small white rectangle from a battered packet.

"No thanks mate," said Selby.

"I guess I'm just not used to it really.  I prefer to think of it as any other day, to be honest."  Selby nodded; Malcolm chewed, "I mean... it's not really important," he said.  Malcolm glanced at his watch, "We're going to be late."

"It's thirty down here," said Selby.

"I didn't see any signs."

"Just passed one."

"Oh," said Malcolm, "I didn't see it."

Selby sighed, "You were looking for your gum."

"Ah," said Malcolm, "yeah... lots of speed cameras."

"Yep."  Malcolm looked at his watch again, and Selby tried not to smile, "we'll be on time," he said.

Malcolm flicked the radio on, "I need usually bother," he said.

Selby shrugged, "Whatever makes you happy..."

"Who's coming?"

"The usual," said Selby, "Matt, Russ, Col..."

"Luce?"  Malcolm tried to sound nonchalant.

"I think so, yeah."  Malcolm chewed his gum; Selby watched the road, "You looking forward to it?" 

Something in Selby's voice pricked Malcolm's ears; he turned the radio off, "Well," he said, "it's just like any..."

"Other day?" grinned Selby. 

Malcolm looked out of the window.  He had never been comfortable with his birthday.  And now he was turning thirty and what had he done?  What did he have?  A going-nowhere job in a newsagent.  No girlfriend.  None of the things you were meant to have by now, and no clue how to get them.

Selby glanced at Malcolm, "So..." he said, "you feel any different?"

Malcolm sniffed.  They trundled past identical houses and he stared.  "No," he said, "just the same.  Just, exactly, the same."  The car fell silent.  Malcolm chewed the flavour out of his gum.  Selby watched the road. 

Malcolm sat up, "You missed the turn."

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did."

"Ah," said Selby, "that was for the cinema."

"That's where we're going," said Malcolm.

"Oh," said Selby, "was that your plan?"

Malcolm crossed his arms in front of his chest, "You know it was."

Selby turned into a car park outside a warehouse, "Well in that case," he said, "we have a problem."

Malcolm looked up.  A single banner pinned to the warehouse bore the words: 'Go-Karting'.  Malcolm swallowed his gum.