-Chapter Five: An Unexpected Visitor-

"Are Ron and Harry mad at me?"

Hermione Granger sighed and lowered her book, "Kadin, I'm trying to read."

"I know," Kadin Bell worried her fingers, "But you've all been avoiding me for months, and if they're mad at me, then I need to do a big I'm sorry speech, but to do that I need to know what I did wrong. And you know I'm serious because I called Harry by his name and not a string of word things."

The Great Hall was mostly empty, what with January snow coating the grounds and snowball fights in full swing. Under normal circumstances, the fifth year would be out there among the horde of ice-wielding armies. That was, until someone had tipped her off about a certain book-wielding third year trying to catch some respite in the hall. Only the two girls were present. Far above their heads, candles floated as if suspended on wires. It seemed an unnecessary amount of lighting for just them, and in the quiet Kadin's ramblings expanded in volume to fill the space. 

"Kay." Hermione put a hand on the other girl's arm, "Slow down and try not to explode."

"I'm sorry." Kadin flopped down onto the bench next the younger kid with significantly less finesse than you would expect from a Quidditch player, "I'm not used to people being mad at me. I don't know what I'm meant to do."

Hermione's eyebrows tugged together, "I don't think you're meant to do anything. But I should tell you..."

"What?"

"Harry found out. About Sirius Black." Hermione didn't meet her eyes, "What your dad did to his parents."

Kadin drew back, almost unconsciously, "He's not my dad. He's really not."

"Why didn't you tell us what he did, Kay?" the Girl Wonder pressed.

She bit her lip, "I didn't think Harry would help me if he knew."

"Is that really what's most important?" all Hermione's good impressions of Kadin were obviously dissolving before her eyes, "Your fake detective company?"

"It might not have been Sirius Black." Kadin sniffed, "He might not have done the betrayal killing thing when all the Voldyface stuff was going down."

"Harry told me." Hermione's tone was stony, "The mystery woman. It sounds a bit too convenient, doesn't it?"

Kadin stared resolutely at her bitten nails. Her fingers knotted together in her lap, mimicking the dark tumble of frustrated fear under her ribcage.

"You've never had any parents." Hermione observed, "No one ever held you responsible. I think it's time you started to learn there are consequences to your actions."

"I know that." Kadin responded indignantly, "I am a consequence. I'm a big consequence with absolutely no plannedness. My friends... You guys are all I've got. I can't lose you. Without Hoggy Warts and the people here I'm just this thing that gets passed around until it's old enough to be forgotten. I'm-"

"Kay." Hermione faced her with troubled eyes. She'd never seen the brilliant Kadin Bell this worked up before. She'd never seen her worked up full stop, "You don't actually think that, do you? That's ridiculous."

Kadin didn't say anything.

"Look, I'm not exactly happy with Ron at the minute either." Hermione sighed, "I'll do some research on your mystery girl. But apologising to Harry is up to you."

"Thank you!" She threw her arms around Hermione, dragging her into a hug, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Hermione patted her arm, "You're welcome, but you're wrinkling my page."