-Chapter Two: Monsters in the Closet-

"I can do alone. I'm good at alone."

Hogsmeade Weekend. Like always, the corridors emptied of students, and the low hum of the magic working it's way through the castle was more clear than ever. And, like always, Kadin was left friendless, wandering the halls.

Her wanderings this time had brought her to the space in front of the Great Hall, where a gargoyle with a decisively abused nose glared down at her.

"You know it's rude to stare at people like that." Kadin informed the statue, "I don't mind though. It's nice having someone to talk to. How are you?"

What followed next would have been surprising had it taken place anywhere other than Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry:

"Finally someone asks." The gargoyle muttered, it's voice sounded gritty (pun absolutely intended), like a heavy smoker, or someone with a cold, "Do you know how long it's been since anyone had the basic human decency to ask how I was? Teenagers, that's all I'm saying."

"Hi." Kadin smiled at the gargoyle, "I'm Kadin."

"Stride's the name." was the statue's response, "And as for how I am, my vocal chords have gone rusty and a pigeon did unspeakable things on me yesterday, so you can work it out yourself."

Kadin nodded sympathetically, "I'm sure your voice just needs some chance to warm up. You'll feel better in no time."

"No, I mean they've literally gone rusty." Stride corrected, "Helga Hufflepuff built my voice box out of an old radiator."

"Oh." Kadin said. She hadn't been aware that radiators existed a thousand years ago, but she wasn't going to be the one who contradicted the grouchy goblin face.

"No one's talked to me since 1792. Jane, her name was. I always said that girl had great things in store. Or I would have done, if anyone had asked me." Stride reminisced moodily, "Not even that girl who used to say she knew everything about the castle. Ha."

Kadin tilted her head curiously, "Girl?"

"The friend of your mother's." Stride sounded like he was relishing in both his knowledge and hatred of these past attendees of the school, "With the dark hair and the ego."

"You knew my mum?" Kadin's eyes went wide.

"I know everyone." Stride announced, "I can't help it. I'm over the Great Hall. Not that there's much great about it. Most of the statue work is thirteenth century. Practically children."

Kadin, for once in her life, didn't particularly care about what he was saying, "But the girl... Do you mean Aunt Jade?"

"That was the sullen one's name. I always forget." Stride said airily, "No, the other one. The leader of their little trio. The traitor."

"Other one?" Kadin repeated, "I don't understand."

"Don't you?" Stride didn't sound like he particularly cared, "You can go and ask that new professor if you want. Dark hair, angry cat, blue eyes. He'll know who you're talking about."

Kadin nodded, "I will. Thank you, Stride."

"Please do drop by sometime." Stride offered blandly, "I have some simply unbelievable tales about the Wright Brothers. They really should have gone to the adorable little American school."

She turned away, and started to leave, but one last question snagged Kadin's mind, "Stride?"

"Am I required?"

"What's her name?" Kadin asked, "The girl's?"

Something in the gargoyle stilled at this, "That name hasn't been spoken in a very long time. Should that change, it's not me who ought to do it."