"...you should be with me-always," (33)

*** This song is for the last half of the chapter

It's been two months since everything went down at the warehouse up in Maine. The police had launched their investigation based on what we gave in our statements. Unfortunately, Paul and his uncle had disappeared off the map and couldn't be found; so we had to constantly watch our backs for the first month and a half but the police assured us that we were safe and under police surveillance— along with the remaining shareholders.

They were also in the middle of shutting down the shipping company once and for all but because half had already been signed over to Tom, who was now dead, there were a lot of legal issues they had to deal with.

Legal issues my fathers firm was not allowed to help in, unfortunately.

So I decided to finally stop obsessing over where Paul could be— mostly because Kai couldn't find him— and start getting back to my normal life.

"Hey, kid. You ready?" My dad asks as he knocked on my open bedroom door. 

"Yeah, just need to grab my gown and we can go," I smiled at him before turning back around and looking at myself in the mirror. I had just finished applying my makeup and took a few minutes to really look at myself.

To look at what I'd been through. The foundation had done a great job at covering up the small scar left on my cheek from being hit by the gun.

Shaking my head, I pushed the bad thoughts away and focused on the day I had ahead of me. My college graduation day.

I grabbed my graduation gown from the closet and made my way into the living area where my father stood, nursing a drink while staring at Vivian sitting on the couch with a book in her hand. After he came out of the hospital, my father wasted no time in trying to get Vivian back— not that it took a lot. She had already filed for divorce from her husband; just a few days after our little talk.

It was sort of nice to have her around... it was different too but mostly nice. It made me happy to see my father happy. My mother was never around so it didn't feel like she was trying to replace her. It just felt like having a big sister— if that made sense.

Once I let go of my insecurities, Vivian became someone I'd sit beside on the couch and read with. She became someone I regularly had breakfast and dinner with when my father was working late. Even Julia liked her.

"Wow, look at you," she smiled and closed her book. "You look so beautiful,"

"She's right. I'm proud of you... even though you pulled a fast one on me," My father chimed in.

"Thanks, guys," I smiled back while looking down at my white dress. "Let's get going,"

The ceremony dragged on for hours but it was worth it in the end when they called my name to collect my degree. A few months ago I was ecstatic to know that I was graduating in a major that I loved and had a passion for. But now, as the called out my major... it made me bittersweet because I thought of Micah.

After the ceremony, I took a few pictures with my dad and Jack; who brought me flowers, by the way. Jack really held it down when everything regarding Tom was going down. I talked it over with my dad and decided to give Jack shares in the company. After all, he invested his whole life so far into it.

I had just started classes for pre-law and luckily, the credits from my first year could be transferred over so that saved me a year of school to do. That, coupled with summer courses and I should be done in about two and a half years. My dad and Jack still ran the company and I would come in on the weekends and focus on school in the week.