"You're new, right?" (2)

My right foot started to bounce up and down as I sat in the lobby of the building; waiting on that bitch of a receptionist to give me the go-ahead to go up to the 57th floor.

When I came in this morning, I was oh-so-polite to her and showed her the acceptance email Paul Davis, one of the partners of the firm, had sent to me. I told her to please contact Mr. Davis so that I could get clearance to go up.

—but no, according to her, my name wasn't on the list.

What list, you ask?

Apparently, she was given a list of interns that were supposed to show up today and my name wasn't on it.

So now I was waiting as Mr. Davis was currently in a meeting. Personally, I think she was lying about the whole meeting thing but who was I to call her out?

I was sending her death glares as I watched her chat on the phone with her friend. I knew it was her friend based on how her body language and tone of voice changed. It was more casual and more slang was used.

Anyway, I had applied for this program months before my finals. I got the email straight from Paul himself; saying how they would be proud to have me on board for the six weeks the program was offered for. We had continued to correspond after that; mostly just him asking questions about school and my plans for the future. Clearly, my decision to do architectural drawing excited him.

—maybe because I was a girl?

The other partner of this firm was Micah Daniels. He was a total mystery to everyone. He was the quiet one while Paul was the face of the company. I used to think it was just Paul's company until I googled them.

The ding of the elevator brought me back from my thoughts and I saw Paul step out while adjusting the button of his jacket. I have to say, seeing him person, he looked way younger than the pictures on google.

I guess the camera really does add ten years... or is it pounds?

"Miss Maddison, it's a pleasure to finally meet you," he extended his hand out to me as I stood from my chair.

"It's a pleasure for me, too, sir," I accepted his handshake.

"Oh, please, call me Paul. The whole sir thing makes me feel like an old man. Everyone here calls me Paul." He smiled at me and I could see what his best feature was.

His charming smile was basically the fucking slogan for this company. His teeth were immaculately white and he had dimples.

"No, problem,"

"Follow me, please. I don't understand how your name wasn't on the list. I remember putting it on there," he told me as we passed the receptionist towards the elevator.

"I guess it got lost," I smiled sweetly in her direction as I passed by.

"I have someone making you a pass as we speak. You can just put it up to the sensor on the side and it gives you clearance." He demonstrated as he pulled out his ID card and put it up to the sensor on the side of the elevator.

The red light changed to green and the doors opened.

"Oh, wow. Thank you so much."

"I told you before, Brynne. I am glad you reached out to us. Your portfolio is amazing and we're lucky to have you here. And let me say, you look absolutely beautiful. Nothing like what I imagined," he chuckled as we rode the elevator up.

"And what did you imagine?"

"Someone average. A face that could get lost in a crowd... but you're just the opposite. I spotted you the moment I stepped off the elevator."