Out of Sight, Out of Mind

“Bye, Codes,” Taylor smashed her lips onto mine and pulled on my hair. I kissed her back gently and then pulled away. “Bye,” She went back to her car and pulled out of the driveway, her signature smirk on her face. I groaned and went inside. I shut the door behind me.

“Ahhhh!!!” I yelled. I hit the wall and groaned. “What the heck, Codes?” Alli walked into the hallway. I put my head in my hands and slid down the wall. “Where were you earlier?” I asked, looking at my shoes.

“I was at...Kiara’s house,” She said with a sigh. She was with Kiara?

“Kiara?” I lifted my head to make eye contact with Alli.

“Yeah,” She said.

“How is she?”

“She’s fine,” Alli said quickly. Well, Kiara was fine. That’s all that mattered, right? But there was something about the way she had said it... Was Alli lying to me?

“That’s great,” I said, trying to hide the hurt.

“How was your date?” She asked, crossing her arms.

“Fantastic,” I threw my hands up sarcastically, “What do you think?”

“Oh,” She said, “There’s some pizza in the fridge. I’m going to bed. Night,” She went up the stairs. I sighed and remained on the floor.

This was how Alli and I’s conversations were nowadays. I groaned and stared at the ceiling. If only life was the way it was supposed to be.

Kiara’s POV

“Thanks for coming over, Alls,” I said. “It was no problem! I’m so happy were good again. Life has been awful without you,” She wrapped me in a hug.

“I love you, Alli,” I smiled.

“I love you too, KiKi,” She smiled, “Stay strong,”

“I’ll try,” “Call me or text me, okay?” She walked to her car.

“Okay,” I nodded and she got into her car. She turned up the volume really loud and started out of the driveway, singing along.

Man, I had missed her. She waved and drove down the street, disappearing in a few seconds. I sighed and went back inside.

I decided that I would go for a run, so I threw on my running stuff and grabbed my headphones. I put them in and turned on some music. I left my house and ran down the street in the opposite direction of Alli’s street. I would then make a loop around the neighborhood, run past Alli’s, and make my way back to my house.

I put on some intense hip-hop to get me pumped and I pushed myself to go faster. I sweated out all of my anger and pain.

I thought of Cody, Alex, and Taylor. I gritted my teeth and pushed myself even more. The pain hit me like a wave, but my legs kept going faster and faster. My cheeks felt hot with anger and I breathed heavily.

Stop thinking about them, Kiara. They don’t matter anymore. You don’t need them. Cody and Alex are jerks. They don’t deserve your time.

I nodded to myself and shook my head. I slowed to a jog again and gradually built up my speed again.

I was coming up to Alli’s house. I saw a blue convertible drive by and turn into Cody’s driveway. I slowed to a walk.

I saw Cody and Taylor get out of the car. She walked around the car and said, “Bye, Codes,” Codes. My nickname for him. MINE. She took it. That was a dagger to my heart.