Chapter 50: Woosley Scott

Start from the beginning

  "I may have helped you before," Magnus says. "But this—" He sighs. "Think, the pair of you. If someone is buying up all the yin fen in the country, then it is someone who has a reason. And who has a reason to do that?"

  "Mortmain," Tessa whispers.

  "Mortmain's minions have been buying up the yin fen supply in the East End. I confirmed it. If you had run out and he was the only one with a supply. . ." Will says.

  "We would have been put in his power," said Jem. "Unless you were willing to let me die, of course, which would be the sensible course of action."

  But Will had gotten enough yin fen to last twelve months. It wasn't supposed to be a problem so soon.

  "You do not want to help us," Will says. "You do not want to position yourself as an enemy of Mortmain's."

  "Well, can you blame him?" Woolsey rises in a whirl of yellow silk. "What could you possibly have to offer that would make the risk worth it to him?"

  "I will give you anything," Tessa says in a low voice. "Anything at all, if you can help us help Jem."

  Magnus turns to me. "And you? Are you going to tell me that you'll give me anything as well?"

  I shake my head. "There is nothing I have to give you."

  Magnus grips a handful of his black hair. "God, the two of you. I can make inquiries. Track down some of the more unusual shipping routes. Old Molly—"

  "I've been to her," Will says. "Something's frightened her so badly, she won't even crawl out of her grave."

  Woolsey snorts. "And that doesn't tell you anything, little Shadowhunter? Is it really worth all this, just to stretch your friend's life out another few months, another year? He will die anyway."

  I don't know what happens after that. Woolsey's monocle is flying across the room. Will is no longer with me, but on the ground, the werewolf is under him, kicking and swearing, and they are rolling across the rug, and Woolsey has his claws out and is clawing him. Woolsey's eyes have gone yellow and his teeth bared and as sharp as daggers, ready to bite.

"Liam!" I yell out in fear.

  "Stop it. Stop it!" Tessa, by the fire, had seized up a poker. I'm on my feet, eyes wide. Will puts his hand against Woolsey's face, pushing him away. Woolsey yells; Magnus lifts the werewolf and shoves him away. Then Magnus's hands are fisted in the back of Will's jacket, and Will is being dragged from the room, Woolsey staring after him, one hand to his face where Will's silver ring had burned his cheekbone.

  I run after Magnus and Will, then hesitate, looking at Tessa.

  Then I shake my head and run after Will.

  I'm just in time to see Magnus and Will disappear into the library, and I make my way there quickly.

  "Picking a fight with the head of the Praetor Lupus," Magnus was saying, his voice bitter. "You know what his pack would do to you if they had an excuse. You want to die, don't you?"

  "I don't," Will says.

  "I don't know why I ever helped you."

  "You like broken things."

  "William," I say, and he turns to look at me, eyes wide.

  I walk up to him, shaking my head. "Woolsey Scott is not someone you should fight with, you little idiot."

  "Did you hear what he said about Jem?" Will almost shouts.

  I make sure not to flinch. I reach him, pulling out my stele.

  Magnus looks from me to Will, then nods.

  "I'll leave you two for a short while," he says and leaves the room.

  Will exhales, running a hand through his hair roughly.

  I take his wrist and turn his arm over. Then I trace an iratze and the claw marks that Woolsey had induced on him heal slowly. I am aware of Will watching me.

  When I'm done, I slide the stele into my pocket and Will brings his arms around me, drawing me to him. I wrap my arms around him, feeling the heat radiating from his body.

  "I don't know what to do," He whispers. "Tell me, Nora. Tell me what to do."

  "Liam," I say softly pulling away and looking up at him.

  He brings his lips down to mine, hungrily, desperately. I run my hands through his hair, and he keeps his arms around me, in a tight and secure embrace.

  He pulls away, just slightly, resting his forehead on mine.

  "I need you," Will says softly. "I need you now."

  I nod. "I know. I'll be here. Don't worry."

I pull away, laying a hand on Will's cheek. He leans into the touch.

"You're going to go back into the drawing room, and Magnus is going to help you, and you will apologise to Woolsey," I say firmly.

Will nods slowly. "Alright."