Chapter-23

Nik

<Can't wait to see you>

I text back Max.

<Make the food yummy Starlinksy>

He texts me back as I smile at his response.

Ever since last night, we've actually been texting like two kids. I couldn't put my phone down as i didn't want to miss his replies.
I found myself glued to my phone, waiting for alerts,waiting for his replies and when they came, my heart missed a beat every time as i eagerly read and re-read the texts.
In between the replies, i found myself reading through our texts and replaying them in my mind, forming replies, thinking that I should have replied something else! It was exciting and I felt like a teenager.

This is probably what we should have done when we had just met. We should have probably both made an effort to spend time with each other. Maybe things would have turned out differently. But there is no need to dwell on the past. We had time to do that and make up for it.

I notice the place is suddenly quiet. I lift my head from my phone and look at the executives. They are all looking at me slack jawed. Usually meetings at the Starlinsky office had everyone sitting up straight,paying attention and very serious.

"I apologize" please continue I say shooting a quick text to Max.

<In big trouble because of you, in a meeting>
I text Max back.

<Make that money>,he texts back

<Oh, don't worry, I'm making that money> I reply

But before I can keep the phone away,he replies with laughing emoji's and I smile and pocket the phone as I put on my business face.

Oh damn! I forgot I was having a meeting and I was actually chairing it! This was just the effect Max was having on me. I was being absent minded the whole morning! I was whipped!

Everything was in preparation for tonights dinner. I wasn't much of a good cook so I had to call a chef in to assist, i wanted to make it for him myself but I had to settle with helping.
I asked the chef to go all out. I wanted a full blown dinner for Max. I leave him putting the last of the food in the oven and setting the table.

"I'm just going to hop in the shower" I tell the chef.
My sweats and t-shirt was full of flour and ingredients. I really needed a shower. Max would be here in an hour.
I  hurry to the bathroom in my bedroom and shower and pick black jeans and a long sleeved fitted grey shirt. The aim was to look casual but good. I guess I didn't want Max to know how much I was eager and excited. I don't know how he would react. I was really acting out of character.

An hour and a half later.

I've been waiting for Max and I can't stop pacing by the door.
Why wasn't he here yet? Where was he? He wasn't picking my calls.

"Calm down sir" the chef says.

"Maybe he had an accident, I'm so worried" I say grabbing my car keys, "I'm going to look for him" I say picking my phone off the table.
I turn to go and it immediately rings and its Max.

"Thank God! Max ? Where are you? Are you in trouble?" I ask

"Not really" he says unsure

"What happened? " I ask sinking into the nearest chair

"Calm down Nik, actually, I'm at your penthouse but it seems empty, did you move or something, I heard your sister saying something about that but she was acting shady?" he adds