Chapter 3

Max

Today is my wedding day! Like grandfather always says, money moves mountains. Grandfather made money move mountains.
The wedding was organized on a grand scale.
The decorations alone were top notch, guests had been invited, the catereres were here, there was no excuse.

I sat nervously in my room sweating from nerves as I ravenously ate cereal. My nanny Adeline was helping me to dress but I was reluctant, so she told me she would return a bit later.
I was so scared because I would be leaving home to go and stay with nik and his family. I knew they didn't like me. They didn't hide it. They wanted Nik to marry his fancy girlfriend.

A few minutes later, Adeline comes hurrying in with a designer

"Max dear, you have to dress up, your grandfather will be here soon" she says

"Okay" I tell her as I put down the cereal bowl and grab the clothes the designer bought

I try them on and the seem a bit too tight.

"Adeline, these clothes are tight!" I tell her

"Really, let me see" she checks them out and sighs

"It might seem so, let me see what I can get you" she says hurrying to my closet

"No, no, no!" The designer shouts

"What?" Adeline asks him

"Mr Harold specifically said to make it a size smaller, I can't face his wrath" he says nervously

"Why would he say that?" Adeline demanded

"Uhmmmm, he said the little gentleman has a tendency to eat too much and he wouldn't have him embarrassing him on this day" he explains

"That old degenerate!" Adeline says

I just sigh. By this point, I was used to the weight insults and jokes from grandfather, the kids in school.

"Do something, he has those exact pants, we can swap them, adjust the jacket abit" Adeline tells the designer. He agrees and quickly loosens it and stitches it especially in the sides.

When I'm finally dressed and the designer has left. Adeline smiles at me and gives me something from her apron.
I grab it eagerly and find a silver phoenix pin with a key inside and a letter.

"Teresa sent this for you, but she couldn't risk your grandfather knowing so she sent it through me"

Tears rolled down my cheeks. Teresa is my mother. I was going to miss having her here,not like grandfather would allow but at least she sent me something.

"How did she know?" I ask her

"You don't think I became your caretaker by accident, Teresa sent me here" she says smiling as I ran to her hugging

No wonder she took good care of me all these years and tried to shield me from grandfather.

"Now dry your eyes, I'll send someone for you" she says

I sit down and grab the letter,

My dear Maximilian, I wish I was there to at least hold your hand. I love you my son. Your father gave me the silver phoenix and that key is for you. Its not much but one day I hope it helps you.

         Teresa

I clutch the letter to my chest and hide the key but I pin the silver phoenix on the lapel of my jacket.

I hear a knock on the door and go downstairs with a brave face. They lead me to the place where the ceremony will be held and I see my classmates and people from town all looking at me disdainfully and giving their star Nik pitying looks.
Nik is already at the altar and my grandfather takes me down the aisle. Niks parents are frowning in one corner and the whole ceremony is a blur. Its like I'm on auto pilot! Nik doesn't even spare me a glance.

After the ceremony, we head to the reception.

If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment.