three - missed opportunity

Începe de la început

Robert laughed gruffly as Finn quietly flicked the safety of his gun, getting ready to put everything to an end. He scanned Robert's appearance, seeing nothing but a normal man on the phone as if he didn't have a care in the world. But Finn knew exactly what this man was capable and after reading several pages of the file before he arrived at his house, he felt no sympathy whatsoever for what he was about to do. Part of him knew that the man deserved it, constantly stealing money off innocent people, breaking the law, and most of all...not being the father that someone deserved. After imaging an innocent child witnessing his actions, a type of fury like no other soared through his veins. 

Finn narrowed his eyes, checking his surroundings were clear as the man's back was turned to him. He scanned the room one last time before lifting up his pistol carefully, quietly stepping closer with a smirk to finish off the job like he always did. 

"Finn?" a familiar sweet voice called from upstairs. "Where are you?" 

His eyes squeezed closed in frustration, his hands slipping the gun into his jeans after turning the safety switch back on. Finn let out a small grunt of anger before darting back upstairs before Robert would suspect anything. His hands clenched into fists, the small yet curious girl already giving him a headache without barely speaking to him. 

As Finn slid back into his room, he heard footsteps down the hallway and groaned. He looked around quickly, running a hand through his curls nervously as he pulled the pistol out of his back jean pocket. The echo of Millie's footsteps were getting louder and his eyes flickered around the room, panicking slightly at the idea of the girl finding out what he was really there for. Finn laid back down on the rumpled sheets, hiding his phone underneath the pillow which The Boss had given to him so that he could be contacted in case of emergencies or any important updates on the mission. 

Stuffing the gun quickly under the end of the covers as Millie gently opened the door, he tried to look as natural as possible. 

Millie smiled as she saw him, her caramel eyes flashing with nothing but kindness. She was holding a breakfast tray in her hands, the cup of coffee wobbling slightly, the china shaking as she struggled to open the door with the tray in her arms. Finn watched her struggle until she set the tray down on the beside table, putting her hands on her curvy hips with a relieved smile. Her hair was in gentle waves, her outfit clean cut and professional as if she was working in an office. Her feet were in mismatched colorful socks and he held in a snort. 

"My mother told me to get the maid to bring up your breakfast" she shrugged gently, "...but I thought you would prefer a friendly face rather than a silent maid."

"Friendly?" he raised an eyebrow.

She shrugged again with a sheepish smile. "Familiar?"

"Thanks for bringing it up" he mumbled, hoping that she would take the hint to leave him alone for once.

Of course, like the irritating girl that she was, she continued talking and made herself comfy on his bed. Finn's eyes widened slightly and his body stiffened as she relaxed, her long legs spread out before her until they almost touched the gun. As she shuffled around he felt more nervous as he sipped his coffee, glancing down to where the sheet rose slightly with the pistol beneath it, only inches away from her left foot. 

"I don't really like coffee, but I don't like tea either" she rambled on aimlessly, "I know that is bad...I'm British so I should love tea but it makes me feel so sick so I just can't drink it. I love hot chocolate though, I could drink that until I burst-"

"Do you ever stop talking?" he interrupted with a slight snap. 

She looked down, slightly embarrassed. "Sorry...I just don't often have people to talk to, I guess I'm going a little overboard."

"You think?" he retorted. Her face fell slightly but he couldn't give a damn, he was too stressed about the fact that her toe was about three centimeters away from his pistol, something which he could not explain without telling the truth. There is no way that the curious girl would keep her mouth shut about his gun, the girl could hardly ever seem to stop talking about nonsense and it would eventually slip out. 

"Look..." he sighed. "I'm just really tired right now. I haven't slept in a while so it is all kind of coming back to me, you know? I just wanted some peace and quiet."

"I can do that" she nodded eagerly. 

Finn held a pillow over his eyes, hoping that she would leave. "Good." He peeked an eye open when he heard no movement and gritted his teeth when he saw her shuffling around again, trying to stay quiet. "What are you doing?"

"I'm giving you peace and quiet..." she mumbled innocently, then pleaded with him slightly, "Oh come on, I never get to see anyone. I get tutored online and I only ever meet my parents or their stuck up friends. I won't bother you...I-I just wanted some company."

When she slid closer to smile at him and got almost too close to the pistol by her foot, he snapped, coming off harsher than he wanted as he practically pushed her off the bed. "No!"

Her face clouded with disappointment. "Okay, fine. I'll go."

"Millie-" he sighed, rubbing a hand over his face in frustration. 

She sent him another smile as she fled the room, but it was a different kind of smile, perhaps not so certain as if she had been let down. Finn huffed out a breath once the door closed, sighing in relief and stashing it underneath the second pillow safely. He had searched for a safe once he had first arrived in the room, but knew that if Robert didn't trust him, that would be the first place where he could check for anything suspicious. 

Most of all, Finn didn't know how he was going to kill the girl that was a little too curious, never seeming to take the hint to leave him alone. 

xxx

Leave a comment letting me know what you think so far! Not too much of a fan of this one, but the story will pick up soon and there will be more mystery involved for those of you who enjoy a good plot as well as cuteness :)

I will update again shortly, you know I am the queen of double updates as well as angst. Stay tuned for the next chapter, you lovely people!

~Jodie